12. This poll is closed
  • The Ibanez SR Portamento Bass

3 25.00%
  • The Carvin LB70A Anniversary Bass

9 75.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skin DEEP 2014 - Ibanez For The Win

Default Skin DEEP 2014 - Ibanez For The Win

It was a close race, but in the end, the Ibanez SR Portamento Bass squeaked by the Todd Tomlin 5-String Bass with a final score of 8-7.

Now, before we move on to this week's round, I just wanted to say that Todd Tomlin, the designer of the bass featured in the round, found out we were featuring his ax, and he was very proud to be represented on our site. Todd's a real class act; he runs a small business and his devotion to the bass shines through in this creation!

He and I have been in communication; I told him his bass is gorgeous, and chose it for that very reason! When I saw it featured on Bestbassgear.com as their Bass Of The Week, I fell in love right away! His personal touches made it an easy choice for Skin DEEP!

I told Todd that whatever the outcome of the vote, I wanted to feature a more in-depth article on his bass, so I'm going to be putting this together in the next few days! Hats off to the Tomlin Bass for a fine showing!

And so, we move on to our new round. Now that the Portamento is on the throne, we must see whether or not she can hold that spot. Victory sure seems fleeting around here lately! Ha!

I think its time we brought in a Carvin.

I did a little looking around the Carvin site and the bass that caught my eye was the LB70A Anniversary model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LB70A 01.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	3715

34" Scale with Neck-thru design
    24 frets

Name:	LB70A 03.jpg 
Views:	1101 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	3717

Alder back
    Flamed Maple top
    Thin walnut centre
    Rounded body sides

Name:	LB70A 02.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	3716

Neck is five-piece maple/walnut
    Inline headstock
    Ebony fretboard
    White dot inlays
    Chrome hardware
    String-thru bridge

More pix of the Carvin LB70A HERE.

Does this Carvin Anniversary Bass have what it takes to unseat the Portamento from her lofty perch? The voters will decide.

Name:	Ibanez SRF700 01.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	3714

Name:	Ibanez SRF700 02.jpg 
Views:	882 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	3713

More pix of the SR Portamento HERE.

The polls are open, so VOTE NOW!

- low life -

Boy oh boy does that Carvin have some pretty wood! Carvin for me this week, please!

like i say i am sucker for a nice slab of wood and this Carvin has all of that pules much more that i love that is a neck through bass. and this one is a beautiful bass,the only i don,t like on the carvin bass,s is there head stock . that is just me. i still love IBANEZ BUT THIS WEEK IT IS CARVIN
    Let's Play Bass!

Not a fan of that pointy looking Carvin headstock either, but they do make some nice basses - just not this one

For me, a tough choice. Thing is, I have never been a fan of "burst" finishes, so the carvin gets the nod although I argee with Tobiasman about the head stock. Nice to know that if I ever order one, I could choose the shape I wanted.

Brian

The new round will be up this evening! Somebody better cast the tie-breaking vote! Heh, heh...

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread