+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fretless Anyone?

Default Fretless Anyone?

Have any of my fellow Thunder Row'ers been bitten by the Fretless bug?

I messed around with my husband's 5-string fretless a bit and really enjoyed it (although I didn't enjoy playing a 5 string with my hobbit hands!). I'd been toying around with getting a fretless at some point in the distant future until hubby randomly came across a used Fender Tony Franklin Fretless at a Guitar Center within driving distance. Checked it out and what a fabulous all-passive beastie!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b62cb867379b4a99bc7747aabdf2e177.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	3738

Anyway, I found fretless to be much easier to adapt to than I expected. The transition, for me, was pretty seamless. One huge benefit has been that I find myself playing my fretted basses with less noise now. I feel like I have better fretting hand control.

So, let's talk about fretless!

Default Fretless Anyone?

I have never even touched a fretless bass before. I'm kind of scared to. I would really like to try one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two fretless instruments, my 5 string MTD and a Steinberger NXT 5 string upright electric. The transition from fretted to fretless was not terribly difficult to do when you know where you are going on the fingerboard. You do have to be much more precise with your finger positioning and that does help with fretted basses.

The biggest issue for me was the finger position differences between the MTD (35" scale) and the NXT (43" scale). Suddenly the reach between the first and second position on the upright bass neck is about double that of a standard 34" bass. That took some getting used to.

Lots more subtleties that you can play on a fretless, much more like a voice than and instrument.

I play my fretless most of the time now, just bringing out a fretted bass when the music requires that crisper tone.

I'm a convert.

I've been playing mine almost exclusively now for about six months and I really enjoy it. I am getting to where I feel that my intonation is not an issue at all. I still monitor myself against the Polytune app as I play and the fretless is definitely improving my ear.

I agree about the ease of playing fretted, relatively speaking, although I never was particularly noisy; not a habit I ever got into.....

Where it gets to be really fun is when I dial effects into my B Dec amp - I can generate some completely amazing sliding and string bending stuff.....
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

I'm currently building a fretless. Hope to have it completed within the next week. Stay tuned for pictures!

Default Fretless Anyone?

Oh man Art!! I want to build a bass so bad! I've been itchin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful bass Nicki. I have a Yamaha Fretless that I mess around with from time to time. But I am not that comfortable with it yet. Got to give it more time...This whole work thing keeps getting in the way of my playing time...

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

Haven't taken the plunge yet. I think I'd make my next move up to a five-string before I'd go fretless. Also, I often think, if I did go fretless, I'd prefer trying a stand up before an electric fretless. I've always had a dream floating in the back of my empty little head to play an upright bass.

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by PaulUK View Post
    I'm a convert.

I've been playing mine almost exclusively now for about six months and I really enjoy it. I am getting to where I feel that my intonation is not an issue at all. I still monitor myself against the Polytune app as I play and the fretless is definitely improving my ear.
    I do that too. Some days I feel like my ear is right on, and when I check it, I'm good. Other days, I feel like I need that check to be sure I am where I think I am.

The one thing that throws me off with going between my fretless and my fretted basses is the 1st fret marker on the fretless. I have to consciously remind myself when I pick it up that it's there. My brain just automatically assumes first fret marker is G, not F.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE effects on my fretless, too. Chorus, distortion, fuzz, overdrive...you name it, I play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Haven't taken the plunge yet. I think I'd make my next move up to a five-string before I'd go fretless. Also, I often think, if I did go fretless, I'd prefer trying a stand up before an electric fretless. I've always had a dream floating in the back of my empty little head to play an upright bass.
    I'd really, really like to try an upright. I feel that it's highly likely I won't actually be able to play it, given my short stature, short arms and tiny hands but I want to give it a try anyway. Someday...

+ Reply to Thread