+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A general question about tone.

Maybe a little late to the party but my two cents...Tone is subjective so everything should be taken with a grain of salt. That said, I owned a Ibanez Soundwave amp long ago. I can't tell you how much it sucked...(IMO) the only Ibanez amp that I have ever thought to keep was the promethean line (higher end). That said, shopping amps is an expensive endeavor. I would go with Muleskinnerslider for step one, get a good setup on that bass (Ibanez does make a pretty nice bass and the one you own is very nice). After set up, take it to your local guitar center, or some other music shop and plug into a couple of cabs. Try them all, Fender Rumbles are very nice, Ampeg, Mark Bass, Accoustic, GK, Mesa, etc. The pricing will vary wildly but play around until you find "that tone". While your at it, pull a couple of basses off the wall and see how they compare to your Ibanez. Even if you don't find it, the search is always fun!

Good luck.

AB

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

Arnold, your opinion is always valued. Nicki's guess/gut and your experience were right. The main problem I was having was the amp/cab combo. I did not take the bass for a pro set up because there is no pro within several hours drive. That said, I am not too bad at it myself.

I did not have room to take the whole rig when Arlene and I went to the city so just the bass went with me. We were actually in 2 cities and the first thing I will comment on is that each store has a limited number of brands they carry and a limited product selection, so perforce one can only try what one can get their hands on. It did not help that the day I had to shop in Toronto was Sunday so only one store there was open.

First I plugged in to a Fender Rumble 350 combo. Nice round tone, good conectivities (sp?). the tone was a bit dark for me and as well, it was hevy enough that heaving it in and out of the car was a daunting thought. I am 65.

Next up was a TC electronics 250 watt/210. Brighter sound, and a more favourable schlep factor and a fascinating "intelligent pre amp" that will apply effeects (which I don't use) from your I phone (which I don't own). sounds like more Nicki's cup of tea. I did like it though untill I plugged in to a Markbass 300/210 combo.

Seeet mids puncy lows authorative B string and clear highs. what most impressed me was the way each note, within the limits of my technique, had the same volume and presence across the entire fretboard. The "dead" spot at Db on the G is now a shorter sustain that only the bass and I know about.

Orriginally I was planning to get a head and cab but went with the combo because I liked the sound and it is, at 20 Kg (44 Lb) an easy lift in and out. Getting the head alone would have tempted me to order Berantino cab untested and above budget. Problematic, as I am definately not the CFO in these parts. G.A.S. and fiscal restraint are incomserable.

I was also looking to try a hybred tube pre solid power but none were available in the shops. i did try to lift a few all tube heads, and did not even bother to plug in. Ditto-you have my admiration for you commitment to the gym.

A few non fatal points- this thin is loud. with the gain adjusted as per manufacturer, in my practice space of 200 sg ft I have not got the volume past 2 before the comments come down the stairs. there is a hiss from the tweeter with the trebles turned up, and, as mentioned, all my errors and impresisions are obvious.

I also had a chance to try some basses along the way, but that is another story. Enough to say that my G.A.S. is palliated for the moment, but not in any way cured.

Brian
    Last edited by brian_primrose; 05-28-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Fantastic, Brian!!! I'm very happy to hear that you've found some gear that scratches that itch, and better yet gets you tonally where you'd rather be. Can't wait to hear about those other basses you got to try out, too!

Glad you found a lightweight combo that "satisfies the soul"!

There are some fairly lightweight hybrid amps out there, but many of them use the tube in the gain section of the amp, not the tone section, so the "tube" makes little difference to the ultimate tone.

Awesome Brian! Great to hear that you have found something that works for you. Markbass makes exceptional gear and should keep you satisfied for years to come. Like Nikki, I am eager to hear your experience trying the different basses.

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

+ Reply to Thread