+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just Wondering...

Default Just Wondering...

This post is mostly for any TMBG-ers that also own and play Rocksmith 2014. But not exclusively, so as usual, I will take any advice that I can get!

When I upgraded my amp and all the other sound equipment last month I changed my strings from the D'Addario Pro Steel Roundwounds to the LaBella Original '54 Flatwounds. I like the way LaBella strings sound, plus the extra tension absorbs my heavy plucking better than other strings. Long story short, I HATED them!!! I have since switched off to the LaBella Super Steps Exposed Core strings. I love the sound, sustain, and middle of the road tension.

Where my problem comes is with the Rocksmith 2014 tuner. For people that have it, you know how it works (for those of you that don't):
    1.) Pluck the string and a small circle fills in around the letter of the tuning you need, while a +/- shows exactly how many Hz you are off perfect tuning.
    2.) Go to the next string, etc., etc., etc..
    3.) Once the strings are all tuned you then have to pluck each string one more time to confirm that it is still in tune.
    4.) Go play a song.
    My problem is when I get to step 3. In step one, I have perfect tuning on all four strings. 0Hz off. When I come to step three, the tuner won't recognize the string at all, and kicks me back to step 1. That tuner then says I am perfectly tuned, and off to step 3, which won't recognize any string and kicks me back to step 1.

I have tried with the active switch on and off. I have tried with 100% bridge pickup, 100% neck pickup, 50/50 for each pickup. I have tried with each tone knob 100% on and off and well as at the neutral indent. And I have also tried with the mid cut/boost switch in both positions. Nothing seems to help.

So my questions are:
    1.) Does anybody else with Rocksmith 2014 have this issue?
    2.) Can ANYBODY think of a reason why exposed core strings would vibrate perfectly over the 3 seconds it takes to complete step 1, but not for the instantaneous check of step 3?
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

Noel,
    I do have the Rocksmith 2014 on my Mac and have played around with it some, but I am by no means an expert. I have not experienced the problem you are having and I do not know if that could be a matter of a difference in strings. I hate to ask a stupid question but are you muting the other strings while you pluck the one you are checking?
    "There is no such thing as a bad note, just a bad resolution." - Damian Erskine

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70's
    Ibanez SR4XXV
    Fender Select Precision Bass
    Markbass Little Mark Tube 800
    Markbass New York 122 cabinet
    Pigtronix Philosopher Bass Compressor
    Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200
    Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
    The Mini Bone pedalboard by Gator
    Monster Bass cables

I've never used Rocksmith so I have nothing to offer on how it works for different strings.

Do you have a third type of string you could try to prove/disprove the theory?

- low life -

Never used Rocksmith or any of the other game systems. . . they weren't around when I started on the bass.

Do you HAVE to use the Rocksmith tuner before you can use the game? Do you not have another tuner that you can use?

@ ghsky1: Not a stupid question at all. Yes, I am muting the strings I am not tuning.

@ Elmeaux: I can break out the Dean Edge bass, it still has D'Addario Pro Steels on it.

@ TobiasMan: There is no bypassing the Rocksmith Tuner. It requires you to tune with it before you can access any section of the product.
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

That is just odd.
    1. that they require you to use their tuner to access the program, and
    2. that the tuner recognizes the bass once and lets you tune accurately and then doesn't sense the bass the second time.

Have you checked with Rocksmith itself, or do they happen to have a forum that might have answers?

Is there any kind of support number you can call?

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    That is just odd.
    1. that they require you to use their tuner to access the program, and
    2. that the tuner recognizes the bass once and lets you tune accurately and then doesn't sense the bass the second time.

Have you checked with Rocksmith itself, or do they happen to have a forum that might have answers?
    Tobias,
    Don't think of it as tuning, rather as synchronizing. Your bass and the software have to "be on the same page" so that it can identify whether you are playing the correct notes.
    "There is no such thing as a bad note, just a bad resolution." - Damian Erskine

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70's
    Ibanez SR4XXV
    Fender Select Precision Bass
    Markbass Little Mark Tube 800
    Markbass New York 122 cabinet
    Pigtronix Philosopher Bass Compressor
    Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200
    Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
    The Mini Bone pedalboard by Gator
    Monster Bass cables

Did a quick search on Rocksmith tuning problems and came up with quite a number of forums/conversations. Looks like tuning is a bit of a problem for quite a few people. Volume must be turned up all the way during calibration for the tuning stage to go properly. Low output instruments seem to cause problems.

Here's a site from Rocksmith itself with answers to submitted tuning questions.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/rocks...73360486054969

Maybe someone out there on the web has some answers for your issue. Good luck

+ Reply to Thread