+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For those who love Fuzz/Overdrive/Dirt...whatever you want to call it

Default For those who love Fuzz/Overdrive/Dirt...whatever you want to call it

I love the Rat distortion sound. It's gritty and really in-your-face. Unfortunately, since it's not a bass pedal, the Rat pedals suffer from low-end loss. And not just the Rat, low-end loss is pretty common with fuzzes, even among those designed for bass. Recently, I found a pedal that I'm in love with.

It's called the IdiotBox Blower Box Bass Distortion. At $119, it's an absolute fuzzy steal!

http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com...ass-distortion

The Blower Box Bass Distortion (BB) is made by a guy in Texas. It was originally designed to match the bass tone of Blacky in Voivod. He does his own etching and building in his garage...and THIS lovely is the output:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blower_Box_small_enclosure_copy.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	3888

The three knobs on the front are low cut/boost, distortion and high cut/boost. There is a volume knob on the back where the plugs go.

This fantastic pedal goes from mild overdrive to full-blown ripping distortion. With the high/low cut/boost knobs you can dial in any tone you want. You can even achieve more than unity gain, giving your bass a boost beyond its natural abilities. A very usable pedal, with tons and tons of tones available. So far, it's worked very well with every bass I've played with it. With my Rick, I have to turn the high cut down, as it gets very clanky very quickly. With my fretless, I boost the highs and get back some of that lost with a fretless strung with flats. Can't say enough good things. There are some nice clips on IdiotBox's website that show what this pedal can do.

I love effects gear! Thanks for the info, Nicki!

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread