+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Set up

Default Set up

This just arrived in my inbox regardin fixing fret buzz:

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Trade_...rce=newsletter

Brian

They do have some good video material and nice tools!

Love it! Raising the saddles is something that I'm going to do on my LTD when my new strings arrive.

- low life -

I always start with saddles and adjust the truss rod if I can't get to where I need to be afterwards.

I do it the other way. Set the neck relief with the truss rod first, then set the action with the saddles. If the relief isn't right, you can adjust the saddles "till the cows come home" and the fret buzz will still be there (at least until your action is sooo high its almost unplayable).

All the research I have done on this topic indicates that you are correct TobiasMan. It seems this is due to the physics involved in the way a string vibrates when it is picked/plucked. What I have yet to understand is why I get fret buzz when using a pick, but not when I pluck with my fingers, on the same guitar. It would seem to me it should be the other way around since the picking is pretty much parallel to the frets, whereas the plucking involves a certain amount of perpendicular action on the string due to the fingers creating a small lifting action as they are pulled across the string. This seems to be the case even when I pluck more aggressively than I pick. Perhaps it is the inherent softness of human fingers causing a dampening effect compared to the relative hardness of the pick. Anyone have an answer or theory on this issue?

+ Reply to Thread