Thread: Lion's and tigers and bear's OH my..(The Amp Zoo Part 2,3,4, A Family Affair)

Default Lion's and tigers and bear's OH my..(The Amp Zoo Part 2,3,4, A Family Affair)

Lion's and tigers and bear's OH my..(The Amp Zoo Part 2,3,and 4, A Family Affair)

PS. Part 1 of The Amp Zoo is here - http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread...9594#post29594

It's a jungle in here folks, (so many animals (amps) or is that a forest? No folks it's still a Zoo... Ha Ha, Coming Explanation

PS. Just in case some maybe wondering and did not know this but there was a time when bassist and guitarist played
    through the same type and name brand amps? As you shall see. (Some may still?)

Well after wrestling with these creatures I found out they are basically from the same family so we put them here and
    actually one of the 2 through 4 amps is almost the same but will be explained. Let explore these animals. And by the way
    I found out they are also lovable having to do what us old hippies called The Summer of Love!!

The Amps this week are

The Fender Dual Showman- Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual showman with cab.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	4015 Alembic F-2B - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alembic F-2B.PNG 
Views:	92 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	4017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alembic f-2B.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	4016

Here's two groups that featured these Amps and pre-amps a couple of times in their lives!!

Just a quick note.
    There was a Fender Showman and a Fender Dual Showman the only difference I believe but could be wrong is the OT (8 ohm for the Single, 4 ohm for the Dual), and the NFB resistor. And minor details. To long for here. This is where the 4th amp comes in here (Fender Showman).

Now we will end this weeks amps with a little touch up details.

The Fender Dual Showman

Have you ever wanted a Fender Bassman (which we will feature soon) that wouldn't distort once you turned it up loud enough to hear yourself alongside any self-respecting drummer thumping on any decent drum set? Like a
    Genie in a bottle, the Fender Dual Showman answers your wish. Many Bassman users, most notably Phil Lesh, have used a Dual Showman at one time or another for that extra “whoomph” necessary to be heard. Voiced slightly brighter than the Bassman, the Dual Showman paired with a 2x15 cabinet was the rig of choice for many a classic Rock and
    Roller. And as all types of bands got bigger and louder, Dual Showmans became quite popular with Funk and R+B players too.

The Alembic F-2B

Back in the mid and late ‘60’s, the San Francisco Bay Area was quite a cultural hot spot. And as the
    “San Francisco Sound” became the soundtrack for the Summer of Love, many local San Francisco-area
    musicians were thrust into the international spotlight to find themselves leading the Hippie “Peace and Love” charge. Behind the scenes there were more than underground chemists hard at work making things magical! Electronics expert Jim Furman (of Furman Sound) was right there in the middle of that cultural crucible, cooking up gizmos for the Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead. If you take a close look at archival photographs of the Dead, the
    Airplane and other Bay Area bands of the time, quite often you see bassists and guitarists playing through Fender Showmans and Dual Showmans chained in front of audiophile Macintosh power amps. The Alembic F-2B was Mr. Furman’s wildly successful attempt to better the front end of that sweet signal chain by creating a cleaner, sweeter version of the Showman sound. Oh, and don’t forget Alembic F-2B’s have often found their way into Stanley Clarke’s rigs, and you’ll also find them in frequent use in many a world-class studio’s rack, ready to guarantee bassists, engineers and record producers everywhere world-class tone.

Until next week
    Peace And Love

Line6bassmanTR
    Last edited by line6bassman; 07-25-2014 at 11:25 PM.
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Another great entry! Love the Jefferson Airplane sound! I don't have a real Bassman, but my B3 simulates one. I'm looking forward to your Bassman article.

- low life -

i love the airplane. and i think that the dead where some of the most innovators of rock and roll . i have loved them since way back in the day like they say.come of my friends used to tell me that they sound to country. and just dismissed them . so sorry for them that they that JERRY was also a great blue grass artist. there range of music was just unbelievable. GREAT BAND AND GREATLY MISSED.may there music live forever.
    Let's Play Bass!

I have a 72 Fender Bassman 10 Silverface sitting right behind me. Not the most desirable of the Fender bass amps of that time, but has played well now for going on 40+ years. A bit of cleaning of tube plugs periodically and that's it.

Could probably take it in for a tube "do over" and return it to its original sound/tone, but I only use it for noodling while learning songs from YouTube, so I don't need much.

Seems the Bassman series was/is much valued by guitar players - more than bass players but mine is staying here.
    Last edited by TobiasMan; 07-30-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Just a quick note. The Amp Zoo will be close this weekend and will be reopened the following weekend due to work related issues. Thanks for your understanding.

THE ZOO KEEPER
    Line6bassmanTR

What started this Amp zoo was waiting on the new Fender Rumble 500 V3 (and line6 amp effects) to someday arrive, and by the way will be
    back with the amp zoo soon. But the day has finally arrived that my front door should start to Rumble today shortly!!!

SO LETS GET READY TO................. PS. By the way the amp came from Nevada...

Line6bassmanTR