+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Let There Be Neon!

Default Let There Be Neon!

My new yeller neon strings have arrived! Rusty is about to get her new face! 40 60 80 100 120. I hope to install them today or tomorrow. After a few adjustments to the set-up, she should be ready for her debut!

Oh yeah, her thumb rest also arrived. Get out the drill. Rrrrrrrrrr... right through the pick guard! Owch!

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    My new yeller neon strings have arrived! Rusty is about to get her new face! 40 60 80 100 120. I hope to install them today or tomorrow. After a few adjustments to the set-up, she should be ready for her debut!

Oh yeah, her thumb rest also arrived. Get out the drill. Rrrrrrrrrr... right through the pick guard! Owch!
    Make sure you go to dentistry school before you drill... HeeeHeee!!
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

HI Elmeaux.
    Let us know how you like the 120 B. ON my Ibby, I had to go 130 before it sounde tight on the B and C.
    Brian

I generally use either a 125 or a 135 B string. I prefer some tension on the B string and I find the lighter ones just a bit too "flabby".

We need to hear how you like your new axe with the new Neons on it.

Finally got the Neons onto my new ESP. The first thing I always notice about DR Neons is they require pretty intense setup adjustments to tune them to the 12th fret. They tune pretty normally on the open strings, but to get them in tune on the 12th fret is always so different to what is needed with other brands. I don't know if it's because of the coatings, but I have to tighten up the saddles to lengthen the strings, because it's always sharp at the 12th fret. In this case, it was mostly the B and E strings that were too sharp, but each one needed some adjustment. I got them all in tune on the open string and 12th frets; they may need some minor tweaks as I start to work them in, but all seems OK.

I haven't installed the thumb rest yet. Soon enough.

I am going to spend a bit of time breaking in the new strings and let them settle into place; then I will see about doing a demo.

- low life -

Elmeaux, I too have considered adding a thumb rest but didn't want the permanency of drilling them into my instrument. I stumbled upon this while exploring the Kala U-Bass. I wonder how well they adhere and whether they would pop off with too much thumb pressure. The benefits would be that they would not cause permanent changes to your instrument and that they could be placed where you may not be able to locate a screw.
    "There is no such thing as a bad note, just a bad resolution." - Damian Erskine

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70's
    Ibanez SR4XXV
    Fender Select Precision Bass
    Markbass Little Mark Tube 800
    Markbass New York 122 cabinet
    Pigtronix Philosopher Bass Compressor
    Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200
    Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
    The Mini Bone pedalboard by Gator
    Monster Bass cables

Those look VERY interesting. I've drilled thumb rest holes in every bass I've owned and never regretted it. I've always temporarily placed the thumb rest with easy peel off injury or wound tape and just held my hand over it to see if it's the sweet spot. Then I cross my fingers and drill.

These stick on kind are not only interesting looking, but they would leave no holes.

I will look into them! Thanks.

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread