Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first timer

1. Default first timer

Turning 53, played bass form about 16 to 22, so 30 years ago. garage bands etc. Than picked up the Gibson SB 450 about once every 5 years. I've now been practicing steady for the last 3 months, bought TMBG and looking to get a lot better. (Just out my youngest in college so now I have more time) Mostly to play along with backing tracks for my own enjoyment and my 22 year old son and a few buddies play really good acustic guitar so maybe they'll ask the old man to join in once in a while. Really enjoying it. One quick question, the Gibson SB450 is not an easy instrument to play so I've started looking. In one og the big stores, I picked up an Ibanez SR500 and it felt unbelievable in my hands. Light, fast, easy to play. Does anyone have any feed back on this bass. I thought for the price it was a great guitar. i figured one I get through the 20 lessons of TMBG, I would treat myself. Any thoughts.

Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, TomS. I don't know anything in particular about the Ibanez SR500 but if it is an Ibanez I don't think you can go wrong. I own two Ibanez Bass Guitars now and love them. I did have an Ibanez Acoustic Bass Guitar at one time but didn't care much for the size and sound so I sold it. Good luck with your lessons and above all have FUN!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

Wlcome, Tom. I, too, am a fan of the Ibanez. I have two. Neither is the 500, but across the board, Ibanez makes comfortable, easy to play basses. Thin necks play a big part. I'm sure you'll do well with it. On a related note, can you describe what made the Gibson hard to play?

- low life -

Welcome to the Row.

The Ibanez should be a good bass, known for its light weight and easy playablity and costs only a bit more than the Gibson did when it was introduced in 1972!

I'd be interested as well in what you found difficult with the SB 450. It is an early Gibson bass that was at the low end of the current price scale, but although it only appeared in the Gibson catalogue for a couple of years (72-74, but remained available until 78) , it appeared to be receive good comments in the reviews at that time.

5. Default

Hi Tom, Welcome to the Row, and to Teach Me Bass Guitar. I have an Ibanez solid-body 4-string that I call Black Beauty. She's very lightweight, perfectly balanced and, as far as I'm concerned, the equal of basses ten times the price - which was about $400 ten years ago - in terms of ease of play and sound. After ten years, I can't think of a single negative. So, while I can't attest to the SR500 in particular, I enthusiastically vouch for her pedigree. All the best!

Good morning, Tom
    i echo the comments of the others. I have an Ibanez SR base, although not the 500. I love the playability of the neck. An acquaintance of mine has the 500 and is very satisified.
    As TobiasMan pointed out, your Gibson is about 40 years old. I could not find out much about it apart from the fact that it is a long scale (34in) bass. After the passage of time, could the playability issues be releated to setup problems or neck warpage?
    Brian

Default Hey there TomS!!!

Welcome to TR TomS! You will find, as I have, this is a great place to find good info and good people. Ibanez makes nice guitars. I have a SRF700 that I like quite a lot. However, before you lay down the coin, I strongly urge you to check out Carvin's offerings. I bought a LB20 from the "guitars in stock" section of their website and it is now my favorite instrument. I have currently, or have had, guitars from Carvin, ESP, Gretsh, Fender, and Ibanez, and in my opinion, Carvin gives you the best build quality for your money. The tone is a function of the various woods and components that make up the instument, and Carvin offers an incredible selection to choose from. Once I gain enough experience to know exactly what I want in a bass guitar, I will have Carvin build it for me. This is my LB20:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109505b.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	4068

PS - I paid just over $900.00 including a very nice hard case and shipping. A steal in my opinion.
    Last edited by kimgee; 09-15-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added price paid

Pretty, pretty Carvin.

- low life -

Welcome to the Row TomS! The Ibanez SR500 is a fantastic bass, I don''t own one but have played one several times and every time I do I have to talk myself out of buying one (have too many basses already). Perhaps your old Gibson just needs a new set of strings and a good setup. Glad to have you with us!
    Stantonl

www.bassramblings.com

Blogging about Bass!

10. Default

Thank you all for your comments. I jsut dropped my Gibson SB450 off for a complete set up. My biggest problem is the strings are so far off the fret board. (Great for scale exercises). So I'll post when I get it back tomorrow night and hopefully it plays a lot easier. I am excited to be part of the TMBG family.