+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yikes!! Check this bass out........

Default Yikes!! Check this bass out........

One of the docs I downloaded from Scribd was a setup guide. I had never heard of the author so I did a quick search. Turns out he is a boutique bass builder. And oh my, the basses he does build! This one makes my fingers hurt just to look at it:

http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/en/c...signature.html

Also, in the document, he states it is free for all, so here you go:
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is Yves Carbonne's bass. Very daunting, indeed. I don't know how he plays it!

Have you seen Jauqo's 15-stringer? It's a 5-string bass string in triples.

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.ph...Life-and-Music

- low life -

Just like playing a 12 string guitar.

There are only 5 "bass root strings" on the bass, each with an adjacent high octave string and a high harmonic string (I think they are 6 semitones above the root string. Playing them is more plucking/strumming technique than anything fancy about where the notes/chords are. Add a somewhat jangley chorus kind of sound to the bass note.

Unreal. I don't get it. It seems like complexity for the sake of complexity. I have listened to a number of examples of these many stringed basses and have yet to be impressed. Some of them start to look more like a harp than a bass. Do they make electric harps? I have a couple of 5 string basses and have considered a 6 string, but it seems like more than 5 strings moves you into a state of rapidly diminishing returns in exchanging playability for additional range. In fact I have been thinking about stringing one of my 5 strings as a high C setup. The whole low "B" thing seems somewhat over rated from my, admittedly, limited experience. I would be interested to hear from 6 string players as to why they chose to play a 6 string over a 5 or 4 string, and how they feel about it after playing the 6 string for a period of time. I can appreciate the convenience of not needing to de-tune for drop-D. I also understand the increased range of notes available in any given position and the greater octave range, but is there more to it than that? Am I missing something?

Aren't 12 string guitars generally used for "rhythm" guitar parts and therefore play chords while being strummed? That doesn't seem like a design that would be of much use in the role bass guitars normally perform. But, hey, what do I know? If anyone has a link to one of these many stringed basses that is a good example of why they exist, please share it.

+ Reply to Thread