Thread: The Free Studio Project - part 2 Installing Debian GNU/Linux

Default The Free Studio Project - part 2 Installing Debian GNU/Linux

In this tutorial we are going to install Debian on a dedicated system (no dual-boot).
    Before you do this make sure you've got a backup of important files that are stored on this computer.
    I'm using a 64-bit computer (intel Core i7) but it should be the same on a 32-bit computer.

So let's get started :

What do you need :

1. A computer that's powerful enough to be used as your studio system (If you have an older less powerful computer you can swap the default Gnome 3 for openbox to cut down on the resources needed and save more for the studio software)

2. A Linux-compatible D.A.W. (in this tutorial I'm using Ardour which is free but you can also install Bitwig-Studio, Tracktion, Harrison Mixbus, energyXT, ..

3. A CD/DVD-R to burn the install or a USB Flashdrive to install from (you computer needs to support boot from USB and you might need to edit your BIOS or Startup settings to make the system try the USB drive before the Harddrive or the USB drive will not work.

3a : if you choose for the CD/DVD you can just burn the ISO image to the CD/DVD

3b : if you choose the USB option you need a tool to make a bootable-USB drive. One of these programs is "Linux Live USB Creator"

4 : The Debian installer ISO. There are a lot of them but I'm using the "netinstall" one. here is the download location

4a : if you have a 64-bit computer you'll need the AMD64 one (Yes, also if you have an Intel CPU)

4b : if you have a 32-but computer you'll need the i386 one

When you go to the respective website you'll see a list of various files. The one we need is the one with "netinst.iso" is it's name.

5. A Linux compatible Interface (try a LiveCD like Ubuntu Studio) to check this before you install Debian.

Now we are ready to install.

Insert the CD/DVD or USB drive and reboot your system.

You'll see a menu with various options, just select "Graphical Install" and follow the onscreen instuctions.
    This should be fairly easy, but I'm working on a complete step-by-step installation example with screenshot. I hope to be able to post this soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	debian001.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	4078
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	debian002.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	4079
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

It took me a bit longer than expected but the tutorial with all the screenshots is now live
    you can find it here.
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.