Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mick Donner bass.

Default New Mick Donner bass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140916_174819.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	4081
    I paid a visit to Guitar Repair of Tampa Bay today and placed an order to have Mick make me a Crackercaster 4. They are made entirely from wood that is native to Florida. The body is made from cypress, the neck is made from hard ash and the fingerboard is made from rosewood. The ones he have made so far are slab design based on the 1951 Precision. He is basing mine on the 56 P bass with the body contours. It has hipshot tuners, bone nut, Dunlop 6150 frets, Nordstrand 51P4s custom pick up, Wilkinson retro bridge, tortoise pickguard. I tried a 5 string he had on hand and the action was the smoothest I have ever felt. Should be a 6 month wait for it. I got to check out the shop lots of good stuff going on there.
    Last edited by harleyman888; 09-21-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Looking good!

- low life -

I really love the way the Norstrands sound. I saw a beautiful Strat Crackercaster he was building that he put the contours on. He said he would love to do a 4 string with them. So I said please do.

Congratulations! I am really looking forward to hearing yours when it is done.
    Brian

P.S. A belated happy birthday. I hope the bass was your present to yourself.
    Brian
    Last edited by brian_primrose; 09-22-2014 at 07:34 AM.

I have heard good things about that shop, but have never been there. I will look forward to hearing about your experience with them. I still have not found a good luthier in the Tampa area. The tech guys at Fender told me the luthier at Sam Ash on north Dale Mabry hwy was a really good one.......they were mistaken based on my experience.

You should go check them out. Mick has worked for Dean, Washburn, Peavey as a Luthier and designer. His partner there is Ben Chaffin who also has great credentials as a luthier and designer. Their prices as as fair as you can get.

This is the 5 string, The 4 cost $813 and the 5 cost $863. Huge savings passed down due to free wood.

That is just too cool! I called those guys the other day and discussed some issues I was having and they were super friendly and helpful. That looks like a real good deal for a guitar of such high quality. if there isn't a branch of Guitaraholics Anonymous in Tampa, I may have to start one.

Don't worry, Kimgee
    G.A.S. is rarely, if ever fatal.
    Potentially damaging to relationships, but not fatal.
    Brian

I was gassin on this for a while. Did not tell my better half till today. After I bought her a new/used car.

+ Reply to Thread