+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check out this Ibanez...I'm lookin' at YOU Line6!

Default Check out this Ibanez...I'm lookin' at YOU Line6!

Being a habitual gear head, I just ran across this instrument in Ibanez's workshop series. I think it is right up Line6bassman's alley! It is a short scale "bass" tuned like a six string, but 1 octave lower. It is a bit too big a departure from standard bass tuning for me to deal with being a rank beginner, but it sure is neat-o.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_e...2&series_id=51

And speaking of six strings. I am not so sure I want one, but since I have never played one and don't have one, I may just have to get me one. In spite of the fact that I have had very bad experiences with Sweetwater, they do have a screaming deal on this 6 string Ibanez:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR756BSF

Looks real hard to beat for the money, so I may just take the plunge. If only it wasn't at Sweetwater. Sigh.

Oops!! I was wrong. The Ibanez SRC6 I mentioned above IS NOT TUNED LIKE A STANDARD 6 STRING Guitar. It is tuned E-B-G-D-A-E. At least that is what it says on Ibanez's website. That seems bizarre to me. That means it is tuned a perfect fifth between the strings, except for B-G, which are a sixth apart. I don't know what to make of that. Typo on the site maybe. I must investigate further.
    OK, I am totally confused. I have found websites that state E-A-D-G-B-E is standard guitar tuning (which is what I always thought), and I have found websites that state E-B-G-D-A-E is standard. Which is it? Anyone?

Ok, it appears that not everyone lists the strings tuning from lowest pitch to highest. Some list from highest to lowest. Maybe it is just a matter of a lack of a standard in the way the open string pitch is listed. Other than that I have no idea.
    Last edited by kimgee; 09-26-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: I was in error

Once you get into the 6-string range, tuning becomes something a little more personal. If you're playing a sixer (or higher), chances are you're more into chords, so the tunings can reflect that, since standard bass tuning isn't as friendly.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/conf...tuning.184878/

- low life -

This is Ibby's answer to the Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0305600-LIST

And the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0143700-LIST

Both of these models came out late last year. The original Fender Bass VI came out in the 60's (I think) but never really caught on. I think that Fender thought that it would be a natural gateway for guitar players to get into bass guitar as it is tuned E to E like a regular guitar only one octave lower.

By the way, the Ibby can also be found at AMS, but it is not on sale so it is priced $100 more than at Sweetwater. However, the Sweetwater sale ends at the end of September.

Also, I don't know what those guys over on TalkBass were thinking. They were discussing whether the 6th string should be tuned up a major third rather than a perfect fourth to make it more like a guitar. That is not how a guitar is tuned. On a guitar the 5th string (the 1st string being the low E) is tuned up a major third from the 4th string, and the 6th string is tuned a perfect fourth up from the 5th string. Supposedly, this makes chording easier. But I don't know anything about that, I play BASS.
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

Interresting find, Kimgee.
    Not the bass for me but interresting...
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by kimgee View Post
    Being a habitual gear head, I just ran across this instrument in Ibanez's workshop series. I think it is right up Line6bassman's alley!
    On the 6 string bass regular guitar

Yep already made the decision on this one. Like I said awhile back ago after I get my Fender Rumble 500 bass amp ( which I did get!! Awesome!) I was going with the Squire version so once some other things are taken care of that's the one I'm going with next!

You would be surprised with what I think I could use this thing for. Hint: When I play 6 string electric guitar in my group I do leads etc
    that I do when I'm playing bass etc. So I think my ideas with this instrument might be cool!

Line6bassmanTR
    Last edited by line6bassman; 09-27-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Ok, due to my apparently incurable gotta have it disease, I picked up on of these crossover Ibanez SRC6 guitars. Actually, I bought it for several reasons. First off, I found a super cheap demo model on Zzounds for only $545 shipped with the full warranty. I can't find a blemish or flaw on it, so far so good. My thinking was that, like Line6 said, the sucker has all kinds of possibilities. Plus, I have several 6 string non-bass guitars and this would be a good instrument to improve my skills on both types of guitars. It is indeed tuned, from low pitch to high - E-A-D-G-B-E, just like a regular 6 string. I plan on experimenting with different tunings in the future, maybe. The string spacing and guages are much more 6 string guitar like than 6 string bass like. So, finger plucking will require developing a precise free stroke technique, which is something I anticipated and another reason I bought it. It also seems be a good guitar to practice pick technique with, another bit of rationale behind the purchase. I am still forming an opinion on this unit, but at this point I think it is more 6 string guitar than bass. The small diameter of the holes for the strings to pass through on the body will limit the range of string options it appears, so that is a definite negative. I don't know the guages of the installed strings, but they are small. I would guess the low E string on this guitar is about the same as the D string on a 4 string bass. Something in the 60 guage area I think. The opening for the strings to feed through the bridge are also quite small, so drilling out the body won't help unless you also modify or replace the bridge. No thanks. This string issue may be a deal breaker, and fortunately I have 30 days to return it. While the guitar does produce a very wide range of tones, it is not going to out thump a traditional bass guitar. But, it does come close, and with some fiddling with the amp it gets closer still. The build quality is quite good and the neck is very playable. I will update as I get more familiar with it. It is certainly worth giving some serious consideration.

The string situation for the Ibanez SRC6 is really making the Fender Bass VI look like a better choice at this point. I have found only one set of strings that will for sure fit the SRC6. They are the D'Addario EXL156 roundwounds that come on the bass. There are a number of sets available for the Fender in a variety of styles, as in flatwound, roundwound, coated, etc. The key will be whether or not they fit the Ibanez. There are 2 things that determine if the strings will fit - 1) the guage, and 2) the size of the barrel ends. The strings on the Ibanez are .024 .034 .044 .056 .072 .084 and the barrels are small. The strings for the Fender vary slightly according to style, but most are .026 .035 .044 .055 .075 .095 with small barrels. That's a significant difference in the low E guage, and I am not sure if .095 will fit through the body and bridge on the Ibanez. If it won't fit, that means currently there are ONE set of strings that I could find that will fit the Ibanez. BOOO!! I will check it carefully this weekend and if I can't get the larger guage to fit, the sucker is going back.

Sounds and looks cool to me!!! I like!!

Wow!! My something hurts... Must be GAS!!!!

Line6bassmanTR

For some reason I felt like watching this on after the slap bass. Nice, thou has nothing but slap to do on this thread..

Ain't no mountain high enough for us around here!!

Last edited by line6bassman; 10-03-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Because I just felt like it! ;) :)
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

+ Reply to Thread