Thread: Article: Patrick's Free Home Studio Project

Default Article: Patrick's Free Home Studio Project

- low life -

I am completely lost. Is this an alternative to using something like Audacity and a DI to record? I haven't read past the intro, and am not sure of the goal, or if I would only be using practice time to set up what I already have.

Panhead,
    Technically this is not a real "replacement" to software like Audacity.
    Audacity is an audio editor, where Ardour is a D.A.W. (Digital Audio Workstation) it can do a lot more than Audacity, but you can also use Audacity to record your performance so if you look at it that way you might say it's a replacement to Audacity. On the other hand Steinberg has Cubase (their D.A.W.) and Wavelab (Audio editor) so depending on what you want to achieve one can be better than the other. A personal choice.

The goal as you call it is to build a "full" audio recording studio by using only (or as much as possible) free software.

I don't know if Audacity has the option to record multiple tracks but that's one example of what a D.A.W. has to offer.

So you'll need an interface (usb or firewire) that's compatible with Linux and a computer that you want to turn into "dedicated" studio.

The tutorials should provide step-by-step instructions (I tried to keep it as simple as possible) on howto do this.

If you are happy with the quality and workflow of your current setup there is probably no reason to waste practice time but if you want something more this can be helpful.

For more information about Ardour visit their website.
    There is no windows version (only the commercially available Harrison Mixbus which is based on Ardour) so you'll need a PC Running Linux or a Mac to try/use it.

It's pretty powerful for it's price ($1 usd)
    Hope this clarifies it a bit for you.

thanks for the clarification. I spent the weekend taking down 2 trees and associated tasks and haven't been doing much else.

I have Ableton Live 8 I think and an m-Audio box. I am still trying to figure out how to isolate bass tracks off of CD's. I have also used it to record my "performance" and how feeble I sound without the other bass in the mix ;^ ) But that is the extent of my experience.

Way cool that many of you have a handle on the studio aspect. Maybe one day...

I've also got Ableton Live but I don't like it :-D
    From what I understand Ableton is not really a good D.A.W. for (Bass) Guitar. Reason is claimed to be a better option for Guitar (the Rack setup it uses).

The downside of most D.A.W.'s is their DRM requirements (Activations for some but for the more popular ones like Cubase/Nuendo, Reason, ProTools there is a "Dongle" required and those 3 have their own dungle (CubaSe/Nuendo has their "eLicenser". For Reason it's their "Ignition Key" and for ProTools it's the "iLOK")

I can understand why they do it but IMHO it's only an added annoyance for the people who do play it fair by purchasing the software since the other just get a pirated copy with the DRM removed.

And to make it clear, those people are NOT "Hackers", a "Hacker" is someone who's really good at something (the most used example is a "Unix Hacker"). Someone who breaks Copy Protection, Steals user info from websites is a "Cracker". (some might be "script kiddies").
    Media never understood this difference so it seems.

(note that I do not encourage software piracy, You should purchase the software you use. OR use "Free Software" but then it would be nice to show your support for the developers by donating to help them make their software even better).