+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else prefers thick strings?

Default Who else prefers thick strings?

I've tried several different string gauges and I came to the conclusion I prefer thick strings. Right now I have a .105 E string, but the one I had before was a .110. I liked that one a lot. Same with low B strings : either a .140 or .145 is nice to play.

What kind of gauges do you prefer?
    Never give up

So far, I've been using a medium to light gauge. I have one set of very light gauge, but I can't remember the numbers.

The DR Neons that I use are usually medium gauge.

- low life -

I do like the tension that comes with heavier gauge strings. I use .135 B strings on my 5 and 6 string basses. Don't think I've ever seen a .140 or .145! What brand are they?

I use a .135 on my 5 string as well. Even at that, I had to modify the nut slot to get it to seat properly. For the rest, I tend to like .05-.105, and like the feel. That said, I am not a "metal man" as you are, Thomas, and don't really dig in to the strings when playing. I suspect that is I did, I might try heavier guages, especially if using dropped tunings.
    Brian

I used to use heavy guage years ago. Now use medium guage.

I love heavy gauge strings, especially the Rotosound Steve Harris 77s. They're a big gauge and very, very stiff.

I'm have a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on my Carvin PB5. They run a little small (.043, .056, .070, .100) G through E, but have a .136 B string. TI's are very flexible for flats so the larger diameter B string is necessary to keep it from being too floppy. I recently went back to D'Adderio Tape Wounds on my Carvin Bromberg B25 replacing the set of DR Black Beauties that I tried briefly. I also have D'Adderio Tape Wounds on my Ibanez SR-505. The Tape Wounds are standard medium gauge G through E with a .135 B string. I love both the TI's and the D'Adderios. The Black Beauties? Not so much. In fact:

I HATE ROUNDWOUND STRINGS!!

But that's just me. Other people swear by them.
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

I have the same Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on my MTD fretless (.043 - .136) and really, really like them!

I like roundwounds on my Killler B6 and have used both DR Black Beauties (.030 - .125) and Warwick Black Label (.025-.135). Found I preferred the DRs but I use a .130 B String instead of the normal .125.

D'Addario, Circle K, Pyramid Strings and Ken Smith sell them
    Never give up

Yes, for drop tunings it's really a handy tool for sure. If I will buy a 6 string bass in the future, I will tune it to Drop A tuning (A-E-A-D-G-C) and use a .160 for the low B. Yes, I am crazy, am I not?

Quote Originally Posted by brian_primrose View Post
    I use a .135 on my 5 string as well. Even at that, I had to modify the nut slot to get it to seat properly. For the rest, I tend to like .05-.105, and like the feel. That said, I am not a "metal man" as you are, Thomas, and don't really dig in to the strings when playing. I suspect that is I did, I might try heavier guages, especially if using dropped tunings.
    Brian
    Never give up

+ Reply to Thread