+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mono rail bridges

Default mono rail bridges

I am sure the experienced players here already know this, but since I am a novice, this was a pleasant discovery for me. I recently acquired a used Ibanez SR 1005 EFM with a monorail style bridge. This bridge design seems to have significantly less cross-string resonance compared to one piece bridges. Which is great to a novice struggling with muting techniques. I was wondering if this is entirely due to the bridge design or if it is a function of overall guitar design. This is the only guitar I have with this type of bridge, so I have no frame of reference. Anyone else have this same experience with reduced unwanted resonance with this type of bridge? If this type of bridge reduces unwanted cross-string resonance, then it is the way to go in my humble opinion.

From what I understand about these "individual string" bridges, they can isolate sympathetic crosstalk between strings. I believe they are a bit more fussy when setting intonation (ie. don't loosen the grub screws too much or the inner bits can simply fall out).

Appear to have been largely used when the bass builder is looking for very narrow, or very wide string spacings.

I haven't messed with the setup on this bass yet, but it seems very nicely adjusted. It is the beat playing bass I have ever had my hands on, but I will check the intonation and investigate the way it is adjusted. I must say the need for muting seems to be reduced significantly.

Never tried them either, but it would be something to feel/hear the difference!

- low life -

Good morning, Kimgee
    Like you, have the same model Ibanez, with the mono rail bridge. Tobias man is correct. This type of bridge is a bit more fussy to adjust because of the locking screws but, assuming the builder put the bridges in the right place, the intonation is about the same, vis-a vis accuracy, as with my Jazz.

I have not tried any other bbass with a similar bridge, but personally, I do not find that my never ending beginer struggles with unwanted resonance is any less with this bass than the other. That said, I have not tried any other 5 string, and I understand 5 strings are more problematic to mute than a 4.
    Brian

Sheesh. Buying this bass has really opened up a can of worms for me. I thought I owned a variety of nice instruments, and I guess they are for the most part, but this prestige Ibanez puts them all to shame with it's easy playability. I don't know how the heck the action can be so low and yet I get no fret buzz. Must be magic. I was not a fan of Ibanez before this. Ibanez only gives a 1 year warranty and I thought that if they have no more faith in the construction of their instruments than that, then I should stick with guitar makers who offer better warranties. That was a mistake on my part. Now I want a prestige 4 string. Sigh.

Quick, hide your credit cards!!!! Sounds like an impending GAS attack.

Well, I went to the local Sam Ash and tried out one of the new Ibanez prestige SR5000's and, wow did it disappoint. Admittedly, it wasn't set up very well, but it did not have anything like the feel of the SR1005. The SR5000 felt like the majority of the guitars I own, nice but not impressive. I guess that makes sense due to the fact that they are vastly different designs. Are there any Ibanez fanatics out there that have hands-on experience with their older, as in mid 2000's guitars? It looks like they have cut corners on the newer units - no inlaid logo, no separate battery compartment, no ergonomically curved body, etc. It appears if I want a four string comparable to this Sr1005 five string, I will need to find a SR1000 from the same era. Anyone have any insight into this issue and why they departed from such a fine design?

I have two Ibanez basses. A regular grade Soundgear, nicknamed "Patches", and my white baby, "Thunder Cloud" the JTKB300. Both have regular bridges, and each has its own personality and sound. The JTKB300 is my special pet, but she's got a bit of neck dive.

The Soundgear body has an ergonomic, beveled shape all around and the JTK is a slab body with one little tapered out section on the back. Both are passive, so no battery compartments.

I can't even compare them to the Prestige, since neither is anywhere near the grade and price range of that one, but I am happy with the "journeyman" quality of both axes. They get the job done. If I was ever to spend big time money on a bass, I'd expect it to reach much higher standards in all the areas you mention.

I wouldn't call myself an Ibanez FANATIC per se, but I do have a fondness for their good looks, playability, neck structure, and sound. I really do like the way they sound.

This is actually the first not-so-good report I've heard about the Prestige. They seem to be really well received by all, and always generate a big time drool-response in bass circles. I agree that if the one you tried wasn't well set up, it could have affected your impressions. I'm wondering why a music store would allow an improperly set up Prestige to be tried out by a prospective buyer.

As far as standards of construction are concerned, I can't speak to the difference between the older vs the newer Ibanez basses. I just have the two. The Soundgear was made in (approximately) 2009, and the JTK is a 2011 model, but as I said before, neither is in the same category as the Prestige.

- low life -

Kimgee,

See if you can find an SR900. Fantastic build quality, sound and playability. Active Bartolini pups, contoured neck-through construction and a sustain that lasts forever.
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

+ Reply to Thread