Thread: Great music theory book

Default Great music theory book

I am of the camp that thinks learning music theory and sight reading are important steps along the path of learning to play any instrument. I have looked at numerous sources of information on these topics. I have been frustrated in the theory department due to the fact that most educational materials seem to give you too much info at once and not in an easy to comprehend sequence. I am very pleased to say that I have found a book on Scribd that seems to overcome these issues. It can be read online if you don't have a Scribd account, but a subscription is required for a download. The book is by Lloyd Stenier and is titled "Quick and Easy Music Theory". Check it out if, like me, studying theory usually results in wild head spinning.

I also found it on Amazon (US), if you'd like a paperback version.

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-And-Easy.../dp/1449925057

- low life -

Thanks to both of you
    Brian

Sweet, I like having a hard copy. Thanks Elmeaux.

Default more theory stuff

Speaking of helpful theory stuff, I found this nifty little pdf:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by kimgee View Post
    Speaking of helpful theory stuff, I found this nifty little pdf:
    Thanks, kimgee!!

- low life -

I picked up "Absolutely Understand Guitar" DVD course last year for a better understanding of music theory in relation to guitar (it will work for bass too). It really helped open my eyes about why guitars are turned the way they are and seeing how those tunings relate to theory. The course goes beyond the tuning though. It gets into easy to undestand music theory. I haven't finished the course yet as it's 32 hours long but the first 4 hours are free to watch on AUG's website. http://www.absolutelyunderstandguita...-video-lessons

Thank you, jessica and again, Kimgee.
    This all helps.
    Brian

Thanks for the link jusca! I will definitely check the vids out.