+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinal MK-21 first impressions

Default Kinal MK-21 first impressions

I have only had this fine instrument for less than 24 hours, so this is very much only first impressions. The first thing I noticed about this guitar is that it is thoughtfully designed and extremely well made. The bolt on neck is secured with 6 screws with counter-sunk washers. The neck-body joint is very smooth and provides easy access to the highest frets. I was surprised by this, since in the pictures it looks like a typical bolt on neck-body joint, but when playing, it feels almost like a neck-through. The feel of the neck is quite good. It is similar in feel to the Ibanez prestige neck, but a tad more robust. It is a fraction of an inch wider at the nut and a rounder D shape than the Ibanez. I will hold off on a final judgement of the guitar's overall playability due to the fact that I do not like the strings that are currently on it and the action is a bit too high for my tastes. That being said, even in it's current state, it plays very nicely indeed. I will comment further after I have changed the strings and lowered the action. The frets are nicely finished with fret ends all very smooth and uniform. I will find out how uniformly level they are when I lower the action. The tuning machines are the best I have experienced so far. They have a very precise feel with zero slop. They do not have a brand name on them, but look like Hipshots. It has a drop-D tuner on the E string, which is nice as well, and probably was an option. The tone from this guitar is fantastic. It is equipped with Fralin jazz pickups and they sound great with absolutely zero unwanted noise. I will include some photos from which you can see the fit and finish are absolutely first rate. Also, I contacted Mike Kinal and he kindly, and quickly I might add, sent me the build list for this guitar. We had a pleasant conversation and he was very friendly and helpful. I must say, it is a real treat to be able to pick up the phone and talk to the actual person who made your guitar.

MK21
    Swamp Ash body
    Maple neck
    Maple fretboard 34” scale - (it's actually bird's eye maple, and gorgeous)
    Lindy Fralin Jazz Bass pickups
    Bartolini preamp
    Completed May 31, 2006
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0332.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	4127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0338.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	4128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0339.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	4129  

Real purdy. Like the headstock.

Plays well, does she?

- low life -

Beautiful bass.

Very nice looking bass, indeed.
    I am eapecially fond of the wood controll cavity cover.
    Nice find.
    Brian

VERY nice! I really love the burst color, almost a root-beer burst.

Well, I put some new strings on last night - flatwound D'Addario Chromes - and WOW!! what a difference. I guess the strings that were on it were really tired. I thought it sounded great before, but now it is absolutely amazing. Next up........lowering the action. After that I am fairly certain it will just play itself while I watch. Which is probably for the best, considering my skills.....or lack thereof. At this point I consider my self a bass guitar collector. I hope to transition to a bass guitar player eventually.

Default Kinal MK-21 electronics cavity

I have been exchanging emails with Mike Kinal concerning set-up and the electronics. He needed me to send him a photo of the electronics cavity, so I figured I would share it with the TR gang. It is very well shielded and tidy as you can see:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0342.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	4134  

Wow! Lots of room to work in that cavity compared to most other electric basses!

Like said, Mike's a good guy. I have a whole collection of eMails with him as we decided which of the Bartolini preamps were the best for the old one that died in my Tobias Killer B 6 string bass.

Default Yikes!!!!

My experience with this Kinal bass took a sharp turn into the Twilight Zone this weekend. When I received the bass, in spite of what the ebay seller claimed (big surprise, huh?), the guitar was not set-up properly. Even with this poor set-up, it is the best playing guitar I have, so I was anxious to get it right and experience a little bit of heaven. I already put new strings on and noticed there was no clearance between the E string and 12th fret while holding the string down at the 1st and last frets. So, neck adjustment is called for to enable a nice low action without annoying buzzing. You are now entering the Twilight Zone! Much to my surprise, there was very, very little tension on the truss rod, and even after removing ALL tension, there was still no clearance at the 12th fret. Huh? How can that be?
    I emailed Mike Kinal, who is an awesome kinda guy and has been supremely helpful, with this info. We exchanged a few emails and then he asked me to call him, for the purpose of easier and clearer communication, at 9am, his time, Sunday morning. What a guy!! I wouldn't work that early on a Sunday......unless I was getting paid!!!! It is absolutely great to be able to get this sort of support. Mike Kinal is da MAN! Anyway, prior to the call I had become fairly certain that the truss rod was damaged (I was under the impression that it was a dual-action truss rod), and I was going to have to return it to the seller. Very, very, very depressing. However, during the course of my conversation with Mike, it was determined that it must be a single-action truss rod (and not damaged), and that my issue was non-fatal. Mike said he had seen this issue before and was probably due to the significant change in climate between Florida (where I live) and Maine (guitar's prior location). He suggested that I relieve the tension on the truss rod and tune the strings higher by one half-tone and let it sit for a few days and the "curve" should return to the neck. If all else failed a luthier could put it in a press for a while and that should do it for sure. What a relief!!!! Literally, and figuratively. So, I did as Mike suggested and after 12 hours, it does appear that the neck is starting to curve in the desired direction. Have I mentioned what a great guy Mike Kinal is?

I am curious if any the TR members have ever experienced this issue before? It was definitely a first for me.

Never had any experience with this. I love it that you're getting some insider knowledge about repairs, adjustments, etc.

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread