+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kinal MK-21 first impressions

Glad you're getting the bugs worked out.

Was there a PO, or are you the first owner? Mike's guitars are built in British Columbia, so not sure how it got to Maine on the way to you in Florida. Could it have sat for a while with very slack strings or no strings at all?

Told ya . . . Mike's a good guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimgee View Post
    Mike said he had seen this issue before and was probably due to the significant change in climate between Florida (where I live) and Maine (guitar's prior location).I am curious if any the TR members have ever experienced this issue before? It was definitely a first for me.
    I have not, thank goodness, but through a lot of Canada and the northern states protecting the instruments from the extreme changes of humidity with the seasons can be a real challenge. In the summer I have to use an aairconditioner as a dehumidifer, and in the winter, a whole house humidifer if gooing full time and I also use in-case humidifiers. in a loosing battle to get the RH anywhere close to 40%.

Brian

It has been a learning experience for sure. I would not have thought that such relatively minor climate variations could produce such major changes in the guitars wood. I would have expected much less of a reaction. It came from a music store in Portland, ME. I am sure the store was heated/cooled and, since it is on the coast, about the same elevation. Of course there is no telling what it went through between there and here at the hands of the shipper.

There was at least one PO. I bought it used on ebay from a music store in Portland,ME, so I really don't know it's prior history. And you were spot on about Mike. He is super friendly and helpful.

I suspect the humidity may be the culprit in this case. I don't know what the normal humidity is on the coast of Maine, but here in Florida, it is usually pretty high year round.

+ Reply to Thread