+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alembic anyone?

Default Alembic anyone?

I have wanted an Alembic bass ever since I discovered Stanley Clarke back in the late 70's. I have been tempted to obtain a used one, but there are so many different models and they are all quite expensive. Do any of you guys, or gals, have any hands-on experience with an Alembic bass? I would be very interested to know if they live up to their stratospheric reputation. I have seen used Epics selling in the $1500 range, but that is a lot of money to drop for an item I have never seen in the flesh, much less touched. When compared to the price of the likes of some high end units like Fodera or Elrick, just to name a couple, $1500 seems downright reasonable, but still not small change by any means. I have seen many varying opinions on the internet from "the finest money can buy" to "highly over rated". I would very much like to hear the opinions of the TR community.

Sigh. I've never even been in the same room with one. I know Aaron Gibson plays one.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0gHL4PCk_I

- low life -

I have an Alembic Orion fretless with the Essence electronics upgrade. I love it. It's neck and neck with my 4003 for my favorite bass. I bought mine used. The Orion is the set neck version of the Europa. The fit and finish on the bass are heads above anything else I've got. The neck pocket is crazy tight. The bridge is very easy to adjust, despite looking fiddly. The bass is extremely well balanced (which isn't the case with all Alembics). The electronics cavity is a thing of beauty all on its own. Some folks have trouble adjusting to the filter system, because it doesn't behave at all like a standard tone knob. I'm not much fussed. I find it easy to adjust and easy to find good tones.

My Orion is one of those basses that seems to play itself. It's hard to explain, but it's just a very, very easy instrument to get around on. It plays very, very well with my effects pedals. I bought mine never having played one in person. It's a decision I don't regret in the slightest. As a matter of fact, I'd like at least one other Alembic...a fretted. Personally, I think they're a steal on the used market.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

I hear ya Elmeaux. The only time I was in the same room with one, was in a very, very big room. It was a reserved seating only Stanley Clarke concert from his Modern Man Tour. It was the best concert I have ever been to, as far as the quality of the music is concerned. Every musician did a solo and the music was flawless. You couldn't tell the difference, quality wise, from their studio recordings. And the things Mr. Clarke can do with a double bass simply boggles the mind. Very impressive performances by all. However, the best concert I ever attended from the "show" perspective was Alice Cooper from his Billion Dollar Babies Tour. It was incredible. The quality of the music was slightly less than their recordings, but holy crap that man could put on a show!!

Thanks much for your input Nicki. I am sure I will have some questions for you when I get closer to taking the plunge.

+ Reply to Thread