+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoom B3 FX pedal

Default Zoom B3 FX pedal

A while back I obtained a Fender B-Dec 30 amp and was very pleased with it's performance. I like all the built in effects, but have now realized that 30 watts just isn't enough for me. I realized that I was being too aggressive with my plucking and decided the best way to change that would be by cranking up the amp and using a much lighter touch. The B-Dec just didn't have the oomph I wanted, even at full volume. I tried a 100 watt Ampeg Micro-CL stack and was very disappointed. It didn't have the juice I was expecting from 100 watts and, more importantly, didn't sound good to my ears. So, I exchanged it for the 200 watt Ampeg SVT Micro stack, which I like very much. The downside was, I lost all the spiffy effects from the B-Dec. I am a total novice in the FX arena, so I did a bit of research, and decided to give the Zoom B3 a whirl. I chose this unit because it seemed to be very simple to use, yet appeared to have lots of flexibility and a nice graphical user interface. It was a good choice for me. It is very simple to set up and use, and with the graphic interface, I was able to get the sounds I wanted quick and easy. And this sucker has loads of sounds available, along with numerous other features. I can be powered by batteries or ac, and comes with the ac adapter. It has more features than I will ever use and is a super shiny red color to boot!!! Seriously, if you want a lot of cool sounds, some very usable and some just for fun, along with a lot of cool built in features, check out the Zoom B3.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/gui...imulator-pedal

Good choice!

I've already got one. Love it. So many options for speaker reproduction and sound effects.

- low life -

Yep, I have one too. I have a full pedal board with analog effects that I uses alot. And bought the B3 to use with my computer (usb interface). That said, I find the tones in the B3 to be every bit as good as those from Boss/MXR/Big Muff pedals. Plus, it is small, fits nicely in my bag. However, I wouldn't mind added an expression pedal to it. I am using my B3 on gigs more and more....may end up selling off my other pedals....

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Good choice!

I've already got one. Love it. So many options for speaker reproduction and sound effects.

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

Looks like a very comprehensive set of effects. Have you managed to work your way through them all yet?

Another thumbs-up for the Zoom B3...the drum machine (rhythm) comes in handy too.
    Last edited by Bassix; 11-30-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    Looks like a very comprehensive set of effects. Have you managed to work your way through them all yet?
    Holy Mackerel, not by a long shot! There are literally hundreds of mixes and matches. Each of the three boxes has a hundred settings, and you can mix them with the other two boxes in soooooooo many ways. Amp brand choices, effects, overdrives, pedals, wah wahs, muffs... Arnold may have tried them all - he has more experience.

One interesting aspect of the B3 is that if you chain the effects in a non-compatible way, the B3 will actually shut down the one bank that is messing things up. Since the B3 is basically three boxes chained in a row, choosing the effects in the right order is always important, from a sound perspective as well as an electrical one. If you choose X setting on box 1, Y setting on box 2, and Z setting on box 3, and the combination is not in the right order, one of the boxes will shut down as a safety precaution. I think that's petty cool. It protects itself from bad chaining! Ha!

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Bassix View Post
    Another thumbs-up for the Zoom B3...the drum machine (rhythm) comes in handy too.
    Exactly! Sometimes I just choose a beat and play improv to it. There's also a string tuner. It's an all-in-one accessory, for sure.

- low life -

One interesting aspect of the B3 is that if you chain the effects in a non-compatible way, the B3 will actually shut down the one bank that is messing things up. Since the B3 is basically three boxes chained in a row, choosing the effects in the right order is always important, from a sound perspective as well as an electrical one. If you choose X setting on box 1, Y setting on box 2, and Z setting on box 3, and the combination is not in the right order, one of the boxes will shut down as a safety precaution. I think that's petty cool. It protects itself from bad chaining! Ha!
    How about that, an "intelligent" pedal box!

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    How about that, an "intelligent" pedal box!
    I think it's that way because you can't physically change the order of the boxes themselves. If you had three separate boxes, you could unplug them and rearrange the order. With the B3 being locked in as a single unit, there has to be some kind of safety. New fangled miracles, eh? Someone get my walker.

- low life -

Thumbs up

>>>>Arnold may have tried them all - he has more experience.<<<
    Nooooo, just found the ones I like and mapped them so I can get to them easily, and off we go. I really only use three. Now if just messing around I might cycle through them all but truth be told (this is just one mans opinion) most of the multi-effects pedals have some very useful tones and then a bunch that, although fun to play with, might not be so useful in real situations.

As noted by all, the drum machine, the tuner, the USB interface, the headphone jack, are all great. The small profile is also very nice! I think the Zoom B3 gets a thumbs up from Thunder Row!

AB

Holy Mackerel, not by a long shot! There are literally hundreds of mixes and matches. Each of the three boxes has a hundred settings, and you can mix them with the other two boxes in soooooooo many ways. Amp brand choices, effects, overdrives, pedals, wah wahs, muffs... Arnold may have tried them all - he has more experience.

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

+ Reply to Thread