+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carvin strings

Default Carvin strings

I recently obtained a second hand Carvin AC50. It came with the strangest strings on it I have ever encountered. They felt like they were aluminum flat wounds. As in aluminum on the outside. And, they sounded really weird. Like a synthesizer more than a guitar. They had to go. I figured the original strings that Carvin installs at the factory would be a good starting point, so I checked Carvin's site. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Carvin sells LaBella tapewounds, which come on new AC50 guitars for about half of what everyone else sells them for, with free shipping currently. I also noticed that all their string sets were very inexpensive compared to other sellers of strings. When I called to place the order, I asked the sales rep about the low prices and he informed me that all their strings come from LaBella and the price reflects their direct to the customer policy. Awesome!! So, if you want a killer deal on LaBella strings......Carvin is the place to get them. Plus, I live in Florida and Carvin is in California, yet I got the strings in 2 days. Yay Carvin!!!

Aluminium would be weird indeed! Not sure just how they were supposed to work with magnetic pickups - surely not like steel windings/wraps. I suspect that's why the strange sounds.

Thanks for the info on the availability of LaBella strings through Carvin.
    Is that only for OEM LaBella strings as supplied by Carvin, or any LaBella strings?

When I did a search for aluminum bass strings, I got results that showed they do make aluminum strings for the double bass. Although, a double bass would have a much longer scale and would not fit an electric bass. The cores were steel, or some hard metal, but I have never seen strings of this sort.

As far as the LaBella strings are concerned, if you go to Carvins accessories page for bass guitars, they show a variety of strings. Some are in LaBella packaging and some are in Carvin packaging. I asked the rep if Carvin made the strings in Carvin packaging, and he told me that all the strings they sold were from LaBella. I bought a set of flats for a 6 string bass, but have not installed them yet. I don't have a six string bass, but since I prefer a 5 string tuned E-C, rather than E-B, I will buy one set for a six string, and one matching set for a four string, and then have two five string sets. One for B-G tuning and one for E-C tuning. The tape wounds work and sound very nice on the AC50. I don't know if they will special order LaBella strings that they do not show on their site, but it couldn't hurt to ask. They have always been extremely helpful and friendly with me.

Thanks Kingee.

Double bass strings would likely be for a 43" scale neck, like the one's I use on my electric upright. Waay too long for a bass guitar!

Most double basses, if they have pickups, have piezo pickups, which are not triggered by magnetic field variations caused by the movement of a metal string in the electric field of the pickup, but from the actual vibrations in the body of the instrument. That's why gut strings work on an upright bass. Double bass strings are available in quite a number of different formulations.

The AC50 is an acoustic electric semi-hollow 5 string bass. It does not use magnetic pickups, so any type of string should work. Here is the description of the pickup from the Carvin site:

"The AC50 has an LR Baggs ribbon-acoustic pickup. This pickup is less than 1/32" thick and contains a film sensor laminated between layers of Kapton and then laser-trimmed to its final form. It's reliable and innovative, with a sensor that is responsive to vibration but not to pressure on the pickup itself. This minimizes the sterile sound that is characteristic of most pressure-sensitive under-saddle pickups, because as the guitar top moves with the vibrations of the strings, so does the pickup, naturally reflecting the actual sound and dynamics of the AC50."

By the way, kimgee, I have always been curious as to how the AC 40/50 balances with a strap. Any neck dive?
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

I guess that may be what the prior owner was thinking when he put them on the AC50 since it uses a piezo pickup as well. But, wow, did they sound odd, and not at all like any acoustic instrument I ever heard. Maybe they were supposed to simulate the sound of an acoustic synthesizer.

PS: that last line was a joke by the way

Yep, it's piezo only and sounds very "acoustic like" with the LaBella tapewounds. It just sounded bizarre with the other strings. This AC50 does have some slight neck dive, but not objectionable. I use a strap pad and hold it seated in the classical style, so it isn't a bother for me. The build materials and hardware probably make a difference also. Here is the build info Carvin sent me:

It is an AC50F, flame koa top, tung oil finish, 5 piece koa neck with 2 maple stripes, flame koa headstock overlay, fretless lines with dots, body binding, black hardware, gold logo, wood knobs, no sound hole. It was completed 08/05/10.

I would expect the AC40 to have less dive with the fewer tuning machines and the laminated neck may add weight as well. I came very close to ordering an AC40 built nearly exactly like this one, but I didn't want to pay that much for a guitar that I wasn't positive I would like. When I came across this AC50, the price was so relatively low, $725, I just couldn't pass it up. I would have to say though, it is probably not a bass everyone would like, but is the most acoustic sounding bass I have heard.
    She's a real beauty too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0333.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	4144

Beautiful bass! That's the only one that I've seen without the sound hole. Nice score.
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

+ Reply to Thread