+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Repair of Tampa Bay Rocks!!!

Default Guitar Repair of Tampa Bay Rocks!!!

I was recently bitten by the vintage bug and decided to celebrate my birthday by giving myself a Peavy T-40 bass. I found one at a Music Go Round in Lakeland, FL that is in very nice condition. The T-40 is a curious beast. It was clearly designed during the Cold War era, as it is obviously built to withstand a nuclear attack. The epitome of heavy metal! It is very robustly made and has the best designed case I have ever seen. It also has a neck tilt system and control configuration unlike anything I have personally experienced. After getting it home and fondling it a bit, I realized that while it produced some very interesting tones, the set-up was way off and I wasn't sure if the electronics were working as they should. A quick call to Guitar Repair of Tampa Bay, and brief conversation with Mick Donner, revealed that he had worked at Peavy for a number of years, and could sort that baby out for me in a jiffy. Sweet! I took the T-40 to Mick and after a quick discussion he transformed into a whirlwind of tools and tones and had that T-40 set-up and purring like a kitten in a matter of minutes. Awesome! Then something happened that was really amazing. I asked Mick what I owed him, and he told me $20. What a deal! When I pulled out my credit card (I had no cash on me since I had expected to leave the bass and pick it up later), he said he didn't want to bother with doing the credit thing for only $20, and not to worry about the fee, it was on the house. As in free! You just don't run into people like this very often. I will be visiting their shop again this weekend with more work for them and Mick's well deserved $20, in cash this time. If you live in central Florida and need a luthier's services, Guitar Repair of Tampa Bay is the place to go. Personally, if I lived outside of the area, I would ship my guitars to them for service. They also sell guitars by Electra, and build Crackercaster guitars themselves on site. You owe it to yourself to check them out:

http://www.guitarrepairoftampabay.com/

That is a beautiful beast!! Pix?

- low life -

I was up there this week with my son. Absolutely the best around. Mick and Ben are the tops of their field. They treat everyone like family which is very rare these days. Did you get to check out the shop and stuff they were working on?

I was on my lunch break, so I didn't get a tour, but they did tell me about a special deal on the Electra's. If you buy an Electra Guitar, you get a free Sony wireless transmitter with it. Pretty sweet.

The Electra Phoenix is a sweet bass. The shop is hidden a bit in there.

Hidden is an understatement for sure. I had a hard time finding it. They claimed to have a sign, but I didn't see one. Of course, that is all very secondary to their fine service and friendly demeanor.

When you go next ask to see what he is building.

Wow.... Peavy T-40 bass.... that was the first bass I ever bought like back in around 1981-82. I still have and use the same strap I had to buy and use for carrying that wooden Cross.... But it sounded nice!

Line6bassmanTR
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Here's a picture of the beast:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0347[1].jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	4173

It weighs about 12 lbs., but fortunately I always play sitting down.

I will do that. I just went by there again this past Saturday and dropped off my Epiphone Zenith for some mods. I asked Mick if they had ever considered giving woodworking classes. He passed on that idea. Which is too bad since there is nothing I have found around here that I would consider useful, and affordable. There is an upscale custom furniture store in downtown Tampa that offers classes, but a 2 day class costs $450. Yikes! Other than that, I have only found classes that were focused on specific tasks or tools. Kinda like what you can get at Home Depot.......as in mostly designed to sell you stuff. Oh well. Still, I had another great experience at GRTB!

+ Reply to Thread