+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 60's VOX Hawk VI bass

Default 60's VOX Hawk VI bass

I just received my Christmas gift to myself. Very appropriately, it arrived today, Dec 24th. It is a Vox Hawk VI short scale bass from the 60's. They are quite rare. It came in the original case, and is surprisingly good shape for a 50 year old bass. The case has seen better days, however. I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, as I am at work, but it sure brightened my holidays!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141224_104543.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	4174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141224_104618.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	4175

PS: Oops, I mistyped above. It is a Hawk IV, not a Hawk VI. Also known as the Vox V263. There is actually a youtube video of a guy playing one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC1cSyXscXg
    Last edited by kimgee; 12-24-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Most purty. Yes, indeed. (drool)

- low life -

Weird and cool! Sure looks like it's in good shape for its age. It kinda reminds me of a Fender Jag. Does it have another pup under the cover or just the one?

I think they were single, neck pickup basses.

Love it, love it, love it.

- low life -

Definately has a 60's vibe to it!

Default weird and cool

It is indeed weird and cool simultaneously. It has just one pickup in the neck position. Made quite nicely in Italy. It has the thinnest neck I have ever seen, and a steel nut it appears. With a 30" scale and a very narrow neck it is absurdly easy to get around the fretboard and yet it has a serious thump to it. Truly strange, by modern standards, it has a round snap on, fabric pad on the back to prevent buckle rash. The pad is even in near mint condition. It appears to be high quality for that period, with a 3 piece maple? neck with walnut? stringers in between the maple pieces. The g-tuner, treble boost, and distortion do not work.......which the seller failed to mention. But, the seller was very reasonable and we negotiated the price down to $500, from $625, which I feel is fair considering it's rarity and condition. Also, I just obtained an original copy of the service guide for it with exploded parts and wiring diagrams. I had already obtained the diagrams from vintage sites on the web, but having an original of the service guide is just way cool I think. Now I just need a vintage Vox, preferably, amp to set next to it and I will have a nice piece of playable antique/artwork to display.

You are correct.

+ Reply to Thread