9. This poll is closed
  • The Benjamin Millar Big Apple Bass

3 33.33%
  • The Benavente SBC 5 Bass

6 66.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skin DEEP 2015 - Soo Long!

Default Skin DEEP 2015 - Soo Long!

With a final vote of 7 - 3, the Benjamin Millar Big Apple Bass hung a true beating on the Soobass KIN4 Bass.

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread...-The-Big-Apple

So as the Big Apple takes her place on the throne, our job is to see how long she can hold her title.

Leaping in to face the Big Apple is a sweet little number from Chris Benavente. From his little shop in Oregon, his handmade basses are hard to resist.

Meet the Benavente SBC 5 Bass. This dark brown beauty comes from a private collector.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Benavente 01.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	4209

Semi-hollow construction
    Body and top wood: Wenge

Name:	Benavente 04.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	4212

Neck wood: Wenge/Flamed Maple 17 layers
    Fretboard wood: Flamed Maple with Wenge binding

Name:	Benavente 02.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	4210

Knobs and pup covers: Flamed Maple
    24 frets

Name:	Benavente 03.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	4211

Black hardware

She's a beauty, alright! Rich colouring, full of contrasts!

More pix of the Benavente SBC 5 Bass HERE.

Does she have the goods to drive the Benjamin Millar Big Apple Bass from her top-of-the-heap perch?

Name:	Big Apple 02.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	4213

More pix of the Big Apple HERE.

Only the voters can decide!

Get your keyboard button pushin' fingers ready!

VOTE NOW!!
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 01-20-2015 at 06:07 AM.

- low life -

OK so maybe I am just grumpy because of the winter, or maybe I have S.A.D., but so far I have been voting for the one i disliked the least of the two contenders. This week is a bit better. I like the Benavente enough to forgive it the wooden PUP covers and knobs.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian_primrose View Post
    OK so maybe I am just grumpy because of the winter, or maybe I have S.A.D., but so far I have been voting for the one i disliked the least of the two contenders. This week is a bit better. I like the Benavente enough to forgive it the wooden PUP covers and knobs.
    Brian
    I feel the same. At least the Benavente isn't all matchy-matchy. I really, really dislike the two deeply drilled holes in the back of the Benavente body. And I don't like single-cuts much. Despite that, I like the Benavente better than the Big Apple.

Hmmm . . . I don't find that much to like about the Benavente. The high contrast pick up covers are a bit hard to take, but I really don't like the top heavy, lopsided look of a single cutout body.

Gotta go with the current champ.

No vote from me. Dislike them both.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman888 View Post
    No vote from me. Dislike them both.

Sadness abounds.

- low life -

I am not a fan of single cut out basses either. The 17 piece neck is impressive, but a bit over the top I think. And, I agree with Nicki on those extra 2 bolts going into the side of the neck - yeesh. That said, The Benavente exhibits a higher level of craftsmanship and is my choice as the lesser of 2 evils, so to speak. Maybe there should be a round where each member, who wishes to do so, submits their own candidate for Bass Beauty Queen and then we all vote on those.

Quote Originally Posted by kimgee View Post
    Maybe there should be a round where each member, who wishes to do so, submits their own candidate for Bass Beauty Queen and then we all vote on those.
    Members are always invited to submit their choice for a hot-looking bass; we then enter their contender into a round against the current crown holder.

The idea of putting ALL the member submissions head to head is a wonderful side-game idea! Anybody else interested in this? The poll program allows for up to ten choices per poll.

Opinions?

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread