+ Reply to Thread

Thread: String Noise

Default String Noise

Can certain types of bass strings cause more finger pickup noise as your playing. I think I am using Ernie Ball strings with no coating. Seems like I get more finger noise then normal.
    On the Downbeat

Absolutely they can! Are the Ernie Ball strings you're using new? My MM Sabre came with EB Slinkys, which I promptly removed because they were too noisy for my liking.

I hate string noise so much that I've mostly switched to flats or tapewounds. I still have rounds on my 4003. The stock Ric strings aren't actually too bad for finger noise. If you want the feel of rounds, but want to reduce finger noise, give Pressurewounds a try.

Try running a pad of Bass Brites over the EB strings. I find they help to clean off any treatments such as the EB strings have. Sometimes, it takes a couple of rounds, but they do have great cleaning properties.

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.ph...Product-Review

Then apply something like Fast Fret to further dull the noise.

http://www.amazon.com/GHS-Fast-Fret-.../dp/B0002D0CQC

PS. since I wrote the review, I've also tried them on DR coated strings - they don't disturb the K3 coating, but I do use them sparingly.

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Absolutely they can! Are the Ernie Ball strings you're using new? My MM Sabre came with EB Slinkys, which I promptly removed because they were too noisy for my liking.

I hate string noise so much that I've mostly switched to flats or tapewounds. I still have rounds on my 4003. The stock Ric strings aren't actually too bad for finger noise. If you want the feel of rounds, but want to reduce finger noise, give Pressurewounds a try.
    Yes, they are pretty new. I am not sure which EB's they are but they are round wound. I will take your advice and ditch these strings.
    On the Downbeat

All of the roundwounds I have used have generated a lot of string noise when new. Some brands quiet down as they are used, others seem to retain the noisiness forever. You have to have pretty impeccable technique to totally avoid string noise with new strings.

I use flatwounds on my MTD fretless and my Fender P bass. My Tobias 6 has DR Long Life Black Beauties which are roundwound. The Black Beauties are one string that I've found is noisy at first, but they fairly quickly quiet down nicely and then last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontay View Post
    I will take your advice and ditch these strings.
    Having, perhaps, a bit of a masochistic tendancy as well as a strong dislike for string noise, I tooke THE FLAT WOUNDS AND TAPE WOUNDS off my bass and put round wounds back on in the early spring. I have been working since that time trying to fix the poor technique that resulted in the noise I did not know I had when I could not hear it.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread