Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: UNLEASH YOUR INNER COPYWRITER, WIN A BASS!

Default Article: UNLEASH YOUR INNER COPYWRITER!

Default advertising fail

Ok, I am going to try to put something together along the lines you are requesting here, but I can tell you right off the bat, mentioning your competitor, Jamplay, on your site is a HUGE mistake. I never heard of Jamplay until I went to your faq page. Now, I am thinking about subscribing. What does that tell you? You want to present TMBG as the best, and ONLY, course of it's kind and that it has NO real competition, which is true in my opinion. TMBG is the core curriculum, so to speak, and the other guys programs are merely accessories, as in practice tools, to learn specific tunes, extra-curricular fun stuff, or for socializing. But you present the info in a way that LEADS the reader to that conclusion without stating that fact overtly. You can refer to those "other" programs, but you should definitely not name them. Also, as far as I know, TMBG is the only course with a complete textbook available, and available in hardcopy AND digital format. To me, that was a BIG factor in my decision. With TMBG you can learn to play the bass completely unplugged on your acoustic bass, or battery powered amp, sitting under a tree with your honey in the park!! Emphasize the strengths and features that differentiate TMBG from those "other guys".

I Kimgee - thanks so much for your advice. Actually, we have no problem with folks checking out JamPlay, which offers some very good, interesting, and fun 'accessories'. That's what a lot of folks are looking for, and JamPlay is great, as far as it goes. But for those who are more mature in their expectations and requirements, Teach Me Bass Guitar is, as you observed, the only real option in the marketplace. So, we consider the comparison chart a kind of winnowing place, where those with minimal expectations can be directed elsewhere leaving serious musicians the option of a comprehensive bass guitar education with Teach Me Bass Guitar.

None of which is to say the strategy won't bite us in the butt, but we have to take risks as the little guy up against a corporate behemoth. Anyone remember David and Goliath?

I very much look forward to seeing the ad you come up with! Give it your best shot, and thanks again!

David

Hi David,

I appreciate what you are saying, but I am not sure I understand it. I will need more info before I can offer much in the way of useful? advice. I have never seen the "bad" TMBG ad you refer to in the original article, and seeing what didn't work would be very helpful. It would also be very important to know where and how you plan on deploying your ads. Anyway, I understand that there are risks involved. Pretty much every human endeavor involves risks. The key to success is in the minimization and management of risk. I think identifying your competition by name (especially on the internet where your competition is but one click away) is a needless risk. I am not sure if Jamplay is the well funded "giant" you refer to, but they are certainly not your only competitor. I have tried some of your competitors, and they simply fall short of TMBG. That does not mean they are not enjoying financial success, however.

I won't go on at length, but here is one example of what I would suggest you reconsider:

From your FAQ page -
    12. So, I should look elsewhere if I think I can 'Learn to Play Bass Like a Pro by Tuesday!' ?
    That's correct.

This tells a potential customer to go away, which is the opposite of what advertising is supposed to achieve. Obviously, learning to play the bass in a few days is an unreasonable expectation. Advertising and sales are all about managing perceptions and expectations. A more appropriate response would be to explain to the potential student that it is not possible to learn the bass in a short period of time and that it requires patience and practice. Any web site or instructor that claims otherwise is not being honest. The real trick is presenting that info in a way that does not deter the potential student from proceeding. Telling them that you can't do that with us, so don't bother, is not educating them, or in any way helpful to them or TMBG.

I am not an advertising professional, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt. I am merely trying to give you some constructive feedback based on my reaction to what I read in your original article and the linked faq page. Other readers may have an entirely different reaction. As I indicated in the pm I sent you, I have no desire to enter a contest and am just trying to lend some support to TMBG, which I have come to recognize as the best and only complete instructional package for learning how to play a bass guitar.

From my review of the FAQ page, the first paragraph seems to be focusing on why readers shouldn't consider other bass learning tools, not on why they should use TMBG. It almost feels like the material is starting off comparing TMBG to the competition, not explaining why folks should look seriously at TMBG.

Paragraph #4 seems to be the point where you finally get to the meat of the subject, why TMBG is a great, comprehensive and economical way to learn the A to Z of playing the bass. I would suggest that you need to start with a well written, to the point, positive bit on the things that TMBG can provide (complete, comprehensive, at your own pace, Roy and his consistent approach, ability to review at will, playing with the band, associated materials, cost effectiveness, support and assistance, etc.) that sets TMBG apart from other training approaches.

I would think that only then, might you want to address the differences between TMBG and other services available (streaming only, don't own anything, need an internet connection to use, etc. but if you did, I'd not mention any specific competitor (I assume that Jamplay really doesn't need the free promo).

I guess my main point is that you have no need to sound like you are "apologizing" for how you compare to others. This is the premier bass learning tool and needs to be presented in that way - clearing outlining all the advantages that come from using this material. If you want to do comparisons, then do them in a generic manner, outlining how the materials/approaches taken by TMBG compare to other offerings.

Again, I am not an advertising person either, but think that the focus needs to be on outlining in a positive manner, what TMBG does provide and downplaying the comparisons until later, if at all, at least until the readers have learned what TMBG can do for them.

"Do you want to learn to play the bass? Do you want to improve your current bass playing skills? Do you want to take your skills up to the pro level? Do you want well planned, consistent, and always available instruction? Do you want all the materials necessary to learn these things included in the course itself? Do you want to be able to practice your newly learned skills with a real band, any time you wish? TMBG will do all of these for you."

I am in full agreement with you Tobiasman. I was thinking, if the idea is to appeal to the younger crowd, start with some video of a young trendy guy/gal presenter asking something like, "What kind of bass player do you want to be?" then show short clips of a variety of bassist types/styles, as in metal head banger rocking with his buddies, jazz technician in a studio/music room, blues/country group on a festival stage, a faithful ensemble in a church setting, and maybe even a guy sitting under a tree in a park playing an acoustic bass serenading his favorite squeeze. After the clips showing the different styles of playing, have the presenter start the serious selling. Then show more clips of the same players happily using TMBG. These clips would be to demonstrate that TMBG works for every type of bass player AND is truly yours to use HOWEVER and WHERE EVER you want. You could even show a clip of a young person playing along to the lesson or loop library with the fretboard on the screen, which is quite similar to what you see on programs like Rocksmith. Don't compare TMBG to Rocksmith or any game, but let the visuals make inferences that the viewer can process and form their own perspectives from. Have the presenter go into how TMBG fulfills all these types of player's needs and is the only complete package of it's kind available. You could then have some clips of younger players endorsing TMBG and commenting on how much it helped them learn or improved their playing. The people in the clips should sincerely talk about how much they enjoy and learn from TMBG, but leave the SELLING to the presenter. You would also want to emphasize the features that differentiate TMBG from it's competitors, but without mentioning any names. The video clips should be crafted to create and manage an impression on the viewer from which they can form a perspective, hopefully, that TMBG will indeed fulfill their educational needs relating to the bass guitar. In every clip TMBG should appear prominently, but not overtly. Leave the overt product plugging to the presenter. Every potential usage should appear in the clips. The CD's being used in a computer on a desk AND in a video player on a big screen TV, streaming to a computer and to a tablet/phone, and the text in use indoors and out. Then you could reinforce the completeness of the package by showing that not only does TMBG have what the "other guys" don't, but it also has everything they do have. As in, Thunder Row for socializing, answers to direct questions from Roy, tips on technique and gear, etc. The main thing is to emphasize the fact that TMBG is the only complete stand alone course that comes with EVERYTHING a student needs to succeed at learning to play the bass. And also, demonstrate that TMBG offers all the bells and whistles that make learning to play the bass fun and exciting, just like those "other guys". This is, of course, a very non-specific and vague sort of description of an ad. I'm just kinda throwing it out there for you.

Great stuff! Keep it coming! (We're listening . . . aren't we, Ralph!)

Much appreciated!
    David

Nicely put there Kimgee!

Check out the new FAQ page. Thanks for your comments! (See? We listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Check out the new FAQ page. Thanks for your comments! (See? We listen!)
    To listen to the Members and adjust content based on their weighing in on situations is truly a sign of class. It's why I'm here, y'all. Barbara and David put their hearts and souls into their products, and they seriously want all of us to be happy students.

- low life -