Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: UNLEASH YOUR INNER COPYWRITER, WIN A BASS!

I, for one, am indeed a happy student regardless of the state of TMBG's advertising efforts. I hope the changes on the FAQ page translate into increased revenue for The Learning Dock and even more happy students. Keep up the great work guys!!

Since I am within the demographic you are looking to advertise to and I did buy TMBG, I'll quickly share my thoughts on how you may market TMBG. I'm in the 25-34 demographic range so the 14-early 20s would have a slightly different market angle I believe.

Why I Chose TMBG

The reason I bought TMBG vs the competitors is I like having a physical copy of the lessons. I don't like streaming for lessons as it takes months to get some concepts under hand and playing $20+/monthly for the same lesson is wasteful to me. Additionally, there's no guarantee that the streaming lessons will forever be on the site (can be removed at any time) or that the site will be in business a few months or years down the road. Having DVDs at least guarantees I'll have the content for a lifetime if I take care for the media.

Appealing to Younger Crowd: What's Missing

I think two things that are lacking from TMBG is specific song lessons and a bigger community with interactivity. Some of the competitors have weekly live chats with instructors, learning tools like games and jam tracks, song lessons, and multiple instructors which I find very helpful as I find one instructor doesn't always explain a concept in a way I can understand while another instructor does. If you could incorporate any or some of these elements, you may grow a larger audience.

Additionally, you may have to have bite size lessons/tips as their attention spans are probably short. Show them how to break down the lessons (as some are 1+ hours long) and apply them to some songs they may want to learn or other skills. Lay out a road map like:

Week 1: Watch 30 minutes of Lesson 1. Work on exercises. Play a simple song from the suggested list. Record yourself as your practice.

Week 2: Watch 30 minutes of Lesson 2. Work on exercises getting it up to 70 bpm, etc. Record yourself as you practice. Compare it to Lesson 1 using a set of guidance questions and see how you've progressed and what you can improve.

These are some things I noticed a lot of resources don't elaborate on. I wish I had some guidance on those things when I started and it would help those who need specific instructions about when to move on, how to measure progress and what to look out for playing wise that a teacher might look for,. This kind of guidance would help a lot with the self-teaching route.

Who's Your Audience & Student Video Testimonies

Also, let the user know before what kind of student would best fit the lessons. If I want to be a studio musician, would these DVDs be a fit for me? How about a jammer and I don't care about music theory? Define the audiences you most likely appeal to and what kind of things they'll be able to do while doing the lessons and after the lessons. Most importantly, show students who have gone through some of the program from the beginning and what they've been able to achieve so far using the lessons. Show people who have had some playing experience and how they've improved with the program. The Alona videos on the forum looked promising but that seems like it was abandoned. Be very detailed about how long it took that person to get to a certain playing level, what was their practice sessions like, what did they do to get there, what was their musical background before starting. No one wants to spend time on a program that leaves big gaping holes...I've been there with guitar instructors who do a disservice to a student and without seeing reviews by other students, I'm hesitant to waste time going in circles with lessons that don't help with my goals. I'd happily volunteer my future progress videos if you need any testimonies for going through the program (no compensation or anything required or needed). I only do the videos to see how far I've come and to show others the possibilities if you stick with the program.

Reeling in Teens & Young Adults

Regarding the 14-early 20s crowd, you'll have to show how fun the program is. Roy comes off as serious and sometimes dry. And I'm afraid it'll take a special child to be enthusiastic about the DVD lessons with the rampant "entertain me" mindset of the younger kids these days. I don't know how you'd address this demographic without completely revamping the series.
    Last edited by jusca; 03-21-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added info

First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response, and to beg your forgiveness for not getting back to you sooner. You've given us a great deal to think about - and we will be incorporating many of your suggestions in our marketing efforts in the months to come. In response to your suggestion that we have a video series chronicling students' progress through the series, the closest thing we have so far is from Stanton Lawrence, who has an excellent series of blogs about his experience with TMBG (www.bassramblings.com). A video series of the kind you suggest would be a welcome addition to Thunder Row. I'd like to take you up on your offer and, toward that end, will ask Elmeaux, our editor, to get in touch with you and work out specifics. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, they're great!