+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sold my Squier PBass. Need Recs for short-scale bass

Brian,

You must have been reading my mind or I might be sending out strong bass windowshopping vibes because I've been looking at basses again. LOL Thanks a lot. I will check out the G&L series. My area's bass selection is so limited so I'll have to cross my fingers to find one in person. But that never stopped me from buying online.

Quote Originally Posted by jusca View Post
    My area's bass selection is so limited so I'll have to cross my fingers to find one in person.
    I know that situation well, living just outside of a town of 5000, 100 miles from a place of any size-50,000. Pretty sure I had a better bank balance before the Net

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jusca View Post
    Well, I finally did it. I sold my Squier P Bass. I wasn't using it. My bass set in the corner like an ugly stepchild while my guitar and drums got all my attention day and night. I realize some things about the bass though...the neck was just way too wide for my baby hands down on the upper frets.

In the future, I'll be looking to start on the bass again. However for now, I just want to look around at different basses that may suit my physical requirements. Does anyone have any recommendations for short-scale bass or long-scale basses with a slim neck (I'm not sure if that exists)?

I tried out both the Fender Mustang and Jazz Bass. I didn't like the pickup position as it was too far back. I loved the pickup position of the PBass.

One thing I've learned having baby hands myself is that short scales are not the end-all solution. I have owned the Ibanez Mikro bass, and still found a full-scale Ibanez sr700 much easier to play. The length of the neck won't matter if the circumference is still the same size as the basses giving you trouble. I would do some research, and go to a music store and try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trayster2 View Post
    One thing I've learned having baby hands myself is that short scales are not the end-all solution. I have owned the Ibanez Mikro bass, and still found a full-scale Ibanez sr700 much easier to play. The length of the neck won't matter if the circumference is still the same size as the basses giving you trouble. I would do some research, and go to a music store and try before you buy.
    You're absolutely correct. I went to Guitar Center & another local music store today. I tried out the Ibanez mikro bass and the neck profile felt horrible to me--too rounded. All the basses I felt comfortable playing were 34" bass 4 & 5 stringers with a more flat-like neck shape.

I came away loving these:
    Godin Shifter 5
    Godin Freeway
    Fender J Bass
    Yamaha RBX765a

I'm just so excited to finally try out some basses that felt comfortable. I'm so glad I didn't buy any of the more popular short scales (Bronco, miKro, etc) before driving around to try them.

I'm back on the bass side of things!

I purchased an ESP LTD B4 Jr. It's a 28.6" short scale, 15in fingerboard radius w/ a thin U shape neck (I love the flatter neck profile) and a super tiny body. It's really mini. Today was the first time I ever played it. I played a similar LTD B10 34" scale which shares the same neck as the B4 JR in a longer version so I pretty much had a hunch that I'd like the short scale as well. And I do. Nice price for a knockaround bass.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/12590-b-4-jr-kit-blk

Thanks again everyone who contributed to this post earlier. It really helped me narrow down what I was looking for in a bass.
    Last edited by jusca; 07-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Congrats on your new instrument! ESP makes fine guitars. Their lower priced units are often better than guitars that cost much more.

Nice looking bass, Jessica.
    Enjoy!
    Brian

I love he bodies on the ESP basses. You've made a good choice.

This one's mine. My first foray into the five-string world.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/9...63324-j-series

- low life -

Nice, Elmeaux
    I have tried a couple in the past I liked them, but they wern't different enough from what I had to justify the puchace.
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread