+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sold my Squier PBass. Need Recs for short-scale bass

Default Sold my Squier PBass. Need Recs for short-scale bass

Well, I finally did it. I sold my Squier P Bass. I wasn't using it. My bass set in the corner like an ugly stepchild while my guitar and drums got all my attention day and night. I realize some things about the bass though...the neck was just way too wide for my baby hands down on the upper frets.

In the future, I'll be looking to start on the bass again. However for now, I just want to look around at different basses that may suit my physical requirements. Does anyone have any recommendations for short-scale bass or long-scale basses with a slim neck (I'm not sure if that exists)?

I tried out both the Fender Mustang and Jazz Bass. I didn't like the pickup position as it was too far back. I loved the pickup position of the PBass.
    Last edited by jusca; 03-25-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: fixed typos

I think Ibanez has the thinnest necks of all the mainstream manufacturers. In terms of short scale, they really only offer the Mikro. It's an entry level training bass, usually under $200.

I'm sure there are other basses with thin necks, though. Anybody else?

- low life -

Short scale: Gretsch 5123B hollow body - Wonderful tones, lightweight and beautiful just to look at....

Slim Neck: Ibanez all the way - mine is a four string SR900, no longer made and still remarkable....
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

Here are a few to consider:

http://gretschguitars.com/products/i...tno=2518002515

http://gretschguitars.com/products/i...tno=2514620552

http://www.fender.com/basses/other/c...140110308.html

These are just a few of many available. There are a lot of vintage short scale basses out there as well that can be had for a reasonable amount of cash. You might also consider one of the short scale 6 string basses, that are actually baritone guitars. Might fit with your treble guitar skills nicely. For example:

http://www.fender.com/basses/other/p...t-0143700.html

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_e...=49&color=CL01

Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks Elmeaux, PaulUK, and KimGee. That's quite a selection to look at. I didn't even know about any of those!! Thanks a bunch. Now I gotta find a local shop that carries them to try each one of them out. This should be fun

Good afternoon, Jessica
    I understand about the P bass. I had wanted one for a while, saved and went to try. I totally left it in the shop because, with my smallish hands, I could not handle the neck. Especially above the 12th fret. The fact that that particular bass had a dead spot from the 5th to the 8th fret did not help either.
    So, I gather, you have an instrument/player mismatch which you want to correct, and you are looking at short scale and or slim neck basses. Before I go on, there are a few relevant questions:
    1) What about the P made you uncomfortable? Was is the moving across the strings in the higher positions, which is a neck shape/volume issue, or was it the ability, or lack thereof to play with a relaxed hand in the lower positions, especially below the 6th position. This may be a technique, not a neck problem.
    2) Regarding the pup placement on the Jazz; why did you feel they were too far back? Was it to do with the tone or the position re resting the thumb?
    3) What music do you want to play? Several of the short scale basses are semi hollow or hollow, and have quite a different tonal ranges.
    4) What is your price range and are you willing to go used?
    So without the answers, permit me to go ahead anyway. If you feel it is a neck volume issue, and you found the Jazz neck comfortable, be aware that a short scale bass may have a chunkier neck than the Jazz or any of the Ibanez SR series basses. A lot depends on the overall shape. The Ibanez SR series of basses have a fairly flat D shape. The Jazz is a “modern” C shape-somewhat rounder, but it flattens closer to the body. Others like the ABG Ibanez have a C profile where the profile stays about the same all the way up the neck. The changes in the measurements are small, but make a large difference to the way it feels under ones hands. The following table gives the measurements in inches.
    Nut Width Thickness1st Width 12th Thickness 12th Bass
    1.72 0.80 2.35 0.95 Ibanez 1005 5 string
    1.51 0.83 2.23 0.94 Fender Jazz
    1.67 0.82 2.21 0.99 Ibanez AGB 200 short scale
    1.50 0.77 0.85 Ibanez SR 4 string
    1.60 .77 .87 Skyline 44-04

The other thing to watch is the neck radius. The Ibanez SRs have a flatter neck with a 12” radius on the 4 and a 14” on the 5. The Jazz necks are 9.5” now. The change in feel is considerable as you move across the strings.
    If part of the issue is the ability to keep your fretting hand relaxed in the lower positions, you may find happiness in using the ring/middle/pinky technique. I am indebted to Trayster2 for pointing me to Ed Freidland’s series of books for help with this, and the first volume contains a progressive set of exercises to help. If you prefer the 1 finger per fret, I have also found working diligently on the small pivot shift going from the mid to the ring and back really helped. A by-product of keeping my hand relaxed more (a work in progress) is that I am getting less noise on fretting and lift off than before.
    Regarding the pup placement on the Jazz, if it was a thumb rest issue, floating the thumb will solve that, as will some aftermarket rests available on the web. If it was a sound issue and you want to be the next Ed Freidland, then Dan Lakin will sell you a P bass with a Jazz dimensioned neck.
    For the music you want to play you need flexibility, one of the SR Ibanez, as Paul suggested, is possibly the way to go. They have the thinnest necks I have come across. If you can find a premium SR series (here I would be shopping used Vis a Vis price) you get the benefit of an upgrade from the standard Bartollini Mk1 pups and pre amp to a Nordstrand set.

If you want a great bass that has a fast neck and, to my ear, a fantastic range of tones see if you can find a used Lakland Skyline 44-02. I tried a new one (out of my price range) and loved it.
    Regarding the short scales, I don’t have much experience. I have an AGB 200 and like it but others have had build quality issues. Paul and Kimgee have given really good suggestions. Appended below are some links with other suggestions. If any model is unaffordable, there may be a very similar one in a less expensive version.
    As always, it will come down to trying as many basses as you can, and I suggest keeping a log of the neck dimensions of each bass, so that you can narrow your search. With so many choices out there it is nice to know your size before you go shopping.
    Lastly, be sure that the setup is good and the string gauge works for you as well.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Brian

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/best...-range.180151/
    http://www.guitarchalk.com/2014/07/t...0-dollars.html
    http://www.premierguitar.com/article...sic_Man?page=1

Jessica, if you check out the new video of Roy on the Carvin Vanqiish, at 2:04 he shows exactly what I meant about a flat neck profile, or shallow D
    Brian

Brian, I appreciate all the info and advice you put into your reply. I've got a lot to think over about my future bass and quite a few months before I even consider purchasing anything new. I do know from my early guitar days, my first instrument was usually my learning experience to know what to look for in the future. By my 3rd guitar, I learned to hear the differences between guitars & their tonewoods and such. I knew the exact specifications for the body style I needed and everything else. Anyways, I haven't decided a budget for the bass. My best guess is spending $500 max at this moment. The budget will probably elevate up to $1k if I find I want to get more serious about bass. I styles I'd play are alternative/rock, soul, r&b, and funk.

My issue with the PBass was the neck width from 5th fret and above. My pinky finger barely could reach the 3rd string without a major pivot. 4th string was basically fretted with the tip of a nail, lol. Regarding 1 finger per fret, that span never bothered me. My hand always felt relaxed anywhere on the fretboard, even frets 1-4. So, 34" scale is fine. And now that you've asked those questions, I've got an idea that maybe scale length has no role in the issue and finding a slimmer neck is the key.

I use a floating thumb style. I just didn't like the small, rounded pickup on the Jazz/Mustang (I can't remember which one had it) as I felt the anchor was narrow. And I suppose it felt positioned so far back after playing the PBass for the last year. It's now good to know that I can add aftermarket thumb rests!

Thanks again!! I'm going poke around the internet looking at all the bass goodies you've linked in your post.
    Last edited by jusca; 03-28-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Happy shopping
    Brian

Hi Jessica.

I have recently watched an interview with Ed Friedland. His responce eto the question " If you had to have just one bass, what would it be?" was a G&L L2500. He evidently finds that it will give him whatever tone the situation requires. The neck profile of the 5 is just a bit bigger than the SR Ibanez, and the 4 string L200 comes with a neck very close to the Fender Jazz, with options available.

Currently they are offered on EBay for about $900 for a U.S. made 4 to $1300 for a U.S. made 5.

If you get a chance to try one out in advance, they may suiit your needs.

During the interview Ed stated that he preferred the feel of the American made ones over that of teh Tribute series whice are made overseas.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread