+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drake Custom Bass

Default Drake Custom Bass

As I mentioned in a post in the "Skin Deep" battle I was attempting to buy a Drake Custom Bass guitar on Ebay named Iris (which appears on his site under 4 string basses). Well, that got kinda messy, but I ended up with the guitar in the end. I also had a very nice, and lengthy, conversation with Andrew Drake about this particular bass guitar, including it's history and how it compares to his current offerings. I will be relating my experience with, and opinions of, this guitar and my contact with Andrew Drake in the near future (spoiler: he was super friendly and helpful). I am sort of time constrained at the moment, but will get to it as soon as possible. Stay tuned.......or not. ; )

Looking forward to your impressions, not just of the bass, but on the subject of buying used instruments on line.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian_primrose View Post
    Looking forward to your impressions, not just of the bass, but on the subject of buying used instruments on line.
    Me, too!!!

- low life -

Default Drake bass update

Ok, finally, back to the Drake Custom bass I bought on ebay. The bass's name is Iris, and it can be found on the Drake site here:

http://www.drakecustombass.com/iris-022908

I spent a good bit of time talking to Andrew Drake about this bass (Andrew is a very helpful and friendly guy by the way), and even though Iris plays nicely and has a great tone, it's finish was not what I would expect from a custom bass builder. I discussed this fact with Andrew, and he informed me that he built the bass quickly, in less than one month, for a specific project and for his own use, and had not originally intended to sell it. Obviously, he did end up selling it, but offered to give Iris a "makeover" and turn it into a bass more in line with his current offerings and skills for a very reasonable amount of money. So, Iris is currently at Andrew's shop being transformed from a nice bass guitar, into a wonderful bass guitar. It will actually be quite a transformation, including a new one piece swamp ash body and all new hardware, including light weight tuners and a new bridge. We discussed various options regarding the body, and I decided to go with a new swamp ash body in his model 9 shape rather than re-shaping the original poplar body. Mmmmmmm.......swamp ash. The original neck will have the frets dressed and the Drake Custom Bass logo will be added to the headstock. Personally, I think an artist should always sign their work. She will receive all new wiring, pots, and a new pre-amp, while retaining the original pick ups. Quite a "makeover" I would say. Andrew estimated the price for all this work would be in the $600.00 neighborhood. That sounded like a deal to me, so the swamp ash has been ordered and now I patiently await the result.

Stay tuned.

5. Default

We're going to need pix and perhaps a YouTube video of Iris in action! Looking forward to it!

Can't wait to see it!! And hear it!

- low life -

Default Photos!!!!

Andrew Drake sent me some photos of the progress on Iris's makeover. She is looking pretty darn sweet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	4418 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download3.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	4419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download5.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	4420
    Last edited by kimgee; 07-22-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Default Even more photos!!!

Iris's makeover has now been added to the Featured Builds section on the Drake Custom Bass website. Here's the link:

http://www.drakecustombass.com/featured-builds

She's a beauty!

- low life -

Looking good!

+ Reply to Thread