+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drake Custom Bass

Default Iris's transformation is complete!

Andrew Drake of Drake Custom Bass has finished working his magic on Iris, and I must say, magic is the word. The instrument sounds great, plays amazingly, and looks fantastic! Also, it is incredibly light at under 8 lbs! I could not be happier with Andrew's workmanship, communication, and final product. Here is a link to the finished bass on his website:

http://www.drakecustombass.com/gallery/iris-022908/

Here is a link to Drake Custom Bass's Facebook page where there are assorted photos of the work in progress sprinkled through the timeline:

https://www.facebook.com/Drake-Custo...2006/timeline/

I have been very impressed with Andrew Drake's performance throughout the entire process and highly recommend him to anyone in need of repairs, mods, or custom builds.

Yep. That's definitely a HOT gal.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...01468039942006

- low life -

The bridge design is one of the better ones I've seen. I like the thoughtful design to it. The bass' body also has a table top grain feel to it.

The bridge is a Hipshot "B" model. The "A" model allows string spacing adjustment and through the body stringing, but since I didn't need those features, I went with the "B". The top loading feature of the "B" is very convenient. Here are some pics of the bass taken with my cell phone. They show a more accurate color rendition of the bass. Andrew's photos are too yellow due to lighting or camera differences......at least on my monitor anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150915_210407.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	4457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150915_210442.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	4458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150915_210531.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	4459

Quote Originally Posted by kimgee View Post
    The bridge is a Hipshot "B" model. The "A" model allows string spacing adjustment and through the body stringing, but since I didn't need those features, I went with the "B". The top loading feature of the "B" is very convenient. Here are some pics of the bass taken with my cell phone. They show a more accurate color rendition of the bass. Andrew's photos are too yellow due to lighting or camera differences......at least on my monitor anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150915_210407.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	4457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150915_210442.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	4458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150915_210531.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	4459
    She's a beauty! how about a little sound sample :-)

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

Thanks 5Slinger. It has become my favorite bass. I changed the flatwound strings to nickel rounds and the tone is outstanding in my opinion. I had a "thing" for flat wound strings in the early stage of learning the bass, but now I have come to appreciate the fact that string choice should be based more on tone, rather than what feels better to my fingertips. I also do not like the "fingering noise" you get with roundwounds, but concentrating on minimizing the string noise caused by my fretting hand definitely cleans up my playing. I will attempt to make a decent recording, but in my opinion, what you will end up hearing is every bit as dependent on the equipment you use to listen to the recording as the equipment I use to make the recording. I don't even plug in a bass when I try it out in a store since I know it won't sound the same when I get it home.

+ Reply to Thread