Thread: Skype lessons

Default Skype lessons

Does anyone here have experience with bass lessons via Skype? If so, any recomendations about what software/hardware is best to optimize the experience? It may be I am way over complicating this, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

Skype is just two-way video communication, where you and the teacher can do live lessons through the computer screen. I believe both Roy and Lane offer them. All you need is the Skype software, a camera on your computer, and to pay your teacher.

- low life -

Speaking of things like this, has anyone tried the Face Book video chat? I did Skype with someone not long ago for the first time and it seemed to have a few video hangups (or a lot of) and my computer is pretty updated... Just wondering...

Line6bassmanTR
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

I actually teach Skype Lessons and I'm running a Skype Special that you can access via my website:
    www.royvogt.com
    The chief things you'll need are a computer and internet service that will give you enough speed to accomodate a good connection. You'll also need to set up a PayPal account if you don't already have one. If you're computer doesn't have a camera you can actually add a webcam. Make sure you can do Skype Audio and Visual as well. You can test on the Skype website.
    Depending on your coverage or data plan, you can even use your Android, iPhone or iPad to do this via Skype apps.
    I find it's a great way to fill in the blanks in your lesson plan and I have a couple of students who are TMBG Users who stop in monthly for a Tune Up.
    Hope this helps!
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by line6bassman View Post
    Speaking of things like this, has anyone tried the Face Book video chat? I did Skype with someone not long ago for the first time and it seemed to have a few video hangups (or a lot of) and my computer is pretty updated... Just wondering...

Line6bassmanTR

I'm a little too paranoid to use video chat. I'm afraid someone would see me picking my teeth or something. Scratching. Who knows. I have a big piece of electrician's tape over the camera lens on my computer.

- low life -

I use Skype all the time for drum & guitar/bass lessons. My current setup is both a Logitech C525 & C615. Both webcams work fine and the mics are decent. You can also run a mixer or audio interface for your sound if the default webcam mic isn't up to par for you.

Also, be on the lookout for JamKazam. I hear they are going to be looking into adding video to the latency free real-time audio service.