Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Don Burpee - 1956 - 2015

So so sorry to hear this. I didn't know Donnie like a lot of you here but his posts were an are still inspirational to me whether it has to do with the bass or his great outlook despite what he was going through. May God bless his family. RIParadise brotha!

I just wanted to add something about Donnie that (I think) nobody here knows. He first joined us as a non-owner of the TMBG course. I guess he had dropped a line to David and Barb, where he told them about having stage four renal cancer. So, even though he hadn't bought the course, he was a Registered User. We have quite a few people among us like that - folks who are simply valued members, even though they haven't bought the course.

Anyway, David contacted me and asked if I could subtly acquire Donnie's address, so they could send him a small gift. I brought it up with Donnie in an email, telling him that sometimes we just like to send the occasional gift to people who demonstrate enthusiasm in the forum discussions.

What David and Barbara did with that address information was to mail him his own copy of TMBG. I can't even begin to tell you how overwhelmed and happy he was. He said the best way he could show his gratitude was to learn to play the bass, and hopefully pass on that knowledge to someone else one day. He said it felt like his birthday and Christmas all rolled into one.

David and Barb have huge hearts. When they gifted TMBG to Donnie, the air was alive and swelling with kindness; their gesture motivated me to make sure I followed their example in all ways.

You see, Donnie's influence reached us all, in amazing ways not necessarily known to the public. I'm just grateful to have been allowed to be part of such a generous act.

Barb and I often remark to one another that TMBG has introduced us to some of the most wonderful people in the world. "What is it about bass players?" Barb asked once, early on, "They're all wonderful!" That opinion has been reinforced time and again in the years since. We are pleased to have had the privilege of easing Donnie's final years in a very small way, thankful to have been introduced to him, and honored and inspired by his example to us through the dark days of his illness. Donnie no longer needs our prayers, they will be directed toward his family, to whom go our condolences. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    I just wanted to add something about Donnie that (I think) nobody here knows. He first joined us as a non-owner of the TMBG course. I guess he had dropped a line to David and Barb, where he told them about having stage four renal cancer. So, even though he hadn't bought the course, he was a Registered User. We have quite a few people among us like that - folks who are simply valued members, even though they haven't bought the course.

Anyway, David contacted me and asked if I could subtly acquire Donnie's address, so they could send him a small gift. I brought it up with Donnie in an email, telling him that sometimes we just like to send the occasional gift to people who demonstrate enthusiasm in the forum discussions.

What David and Barbara did with that address information was to mail him his own copy of TMBG. I can't even begin to tell you how overwhelmed and happy he was. He said the best way he could show his gratitude was to learn to play the bass, and hopefully pass on that knowledge to someone else one day. He said it felt like his birthday and Christmas all rolled into one.

David and Barb have huge hearts. When they gifted TMBG to Donnie, the air was alive and swelling with kindness; their gesture motivated me to make sure I followed their example in all ways.

You see, Donnie's influence reached us all, in amazing ways not necessarily known to the public. I'm just grateful to have been allowed to be part of such a generous act.
    Really warms my heart to read this...what an awesome thing to do! Donnie certainly lived up to his end of the bargain and was an inspiration to us all. May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Barb and I often remark to one another that TMBG has introduced us to some of the most wonderful people in the world. "What is it about bass players?" Barb asked once, early on, "They're all wonderful!" That opinion has been reinforced time and again in the years since. We are pleased to have had the privilege of easing Donnie's final years in a very small way, thankful to have been introduced to him, and honored and inspired by his example to us through the dark days of his illness. Donnie no longer needs our prayers, they will be directed toward his family, to whom go our condolences. Thank you for sharing him with us.
    Thanks David my friend and inspector guy!
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Someone's got a bit of a tribute page going for Donnie. You can type a message, send flowers, cards, etc.

http://www.pagetheusfuneralhome.com/...#!/TributeWall

Thanks for posting that, Elmeaux.

This makes me extremely sad to read

Although I only knew him via Thunderrow, Don was a very nice and humble man. I'm very happy that I did had some contact with him, though it was only digital.

As for now, I can only say that I wish he will rest in peace and I wish his family all the best in this hard time.

Thomas

Today is the day of Donnie's funeral. 10:00 am Florida time, so I guess it's already underway.

As listed on the tribute page I posted, it says:

"A funeral service with military honors is planned for 10 AM – Friday, July 17, 2015 at the Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, Florida."

Military Honours. Beautiful.

RIP, my Brother. See you on the other side.

I have been by that cemetery many times, and it is very nice. It should be a good resting spot for our friend Donnie.
    It is a very rainy day here in central Florida.
    Sleep well friend.
    You earned your rest.