Thread: The Free Studio Project - Appendix A (updates).

Default The Free Studio Project - Appendix A (updates).

Due to most recent changes.

- The release of Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 (codename jessie) as stable.
    - The release of Harrison Mixbus 3 earlier this week.

Now that Debian Jessie is the new stable release there is no need to do the entire install and upgrade process (My original instructions talk about installing the stable version at that time).
    so you can now just install Debian 8.0 or newer.

Follow part 3 until you reach :
    Now we are going to upgrade from Weezy to Jessie (my system doesn't recognize my USB-Interface in Weezy so I need to upgrade to Jessie)
    Skip ahead to part 4

With Mixbus 3 released it's no longer needed to configure Jackd through qjackctl.

Previous versions of Mixbus required to start and run jackd through qjackctl. (first start the server before starting mixbus 2.x)

With Mixbus 3 you can still do this (Mixbus will inform that jackd is configured in a certain way and you cannot change it through Mixbus).
    However if you don't start qjackctl (or jackd trough qjackctl) you can set some settings in Mixbus during project setup.

I would advise to follow my original instructions and configure qjackctl but do not start it and see if you can run without (the less processes there are running the more resources there are free for the actual recording work.
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Default Nouveau drivers fixed

I recently noticed that the nouveau drivers for NVidia on Linux are no longer causing crashes when in use with the RT kernel patch.

So, you no longer need to edit the GRUB bootloader to disable 3D acceleration.

A great advantage of this is that it is now possible to use multiple-monitor setups (with the accell disabled this would crash X11)

to use multiple monitors you'll need to install "arandr" and use it to setup your monitors (position and resolution).

If your setup in arandr is what you want you can save it (call it default) and save in the default location.

now just edit the openbox autostart.sh file and add : /home/USERNAME/.screenlayout/default.sh & to the top of it.
    With this setting you will see the LightDM login screen on all monitors (unless you've activated instant automatic login) and then you should get your multiple screens setup.

Here is a screenshot of my setup (montors have different resolutions so the right monitor had a gray bar at the bottom)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bureaublad 1_007.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	4702

there is a full size version here

Happy Recording !
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Thanks, Patrick. More great info!

- low life -

Kernel upgraded to 4.6.0

Recently Linux released the new 4.6 kernel as stable build, this kernel introduces some major performance enhancements for certain systems.
    I recently patched and compiled this kernel and you can now install it on your system (if you want).

to make installations easier I've setup a repository (Genfury provides free public repositories for various systems including APT). so what do you need to do to get my new kernel installed ?

Follow the following steps :

1. open a terminal
    2. enter the command : sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    3. enter your root password (that's the Administrator for the Windows converts)
    4. in the text editor go to the bottom and add the following 2 lines :
    Code:
    #CloudyWizzard Realtime Kernels
    deb [trusted=yes] https://repo.fury.io/cloudywizzard/ /
    5. save and close the text editor
    6. enter the command : sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.6.0-rt1tickless && sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.6.0-rt1tickless
    7. when asked enter the root password, but it should not be needed.
    8. If you get no error messages the new Kernel is installed and you can reboot the system to start using it.
    9. if you want to check the current kernel you are using, you can do this by opening a terminal and typing : "uname -a" and it should reply with something like this :

Linux Debian-Mobile 4.6.0-rt1tickless #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sun Jun 5 18:21:37 CEST 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Thanks Patrick!

This is great information.

I use Linux for pretty much everything and I always look out for more music-related things to do with it. I recently reinstalled KX Studio. I also use the Hydrogen drum machine/sequencer and have been dabbling with Muse Score.

I did run across the Linux Musicians website which also had much information as well.

Thanks again!

Tnx,

I think some of the information I provide comes from sites like Linux Musicians, I think the Real-Time Quick Scan links to some of their posts when it finds some incorrect settings.

I'm also working together with a Dutch computer tech from the Harrison Mixbus forums on a updated/edited version of this tutorial.
    It will have some stuff removed (that's no longer valid) and contain some more background information on Linux.

Once, this Tutorial is ready I will post it here on the forums.
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Once, this Tutorial is ready I will post it here on the forums.
    Thanks again!

I look forward to the post!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLover View Post
    Thanks again!

I enjoy Patrick's posts very much! Tech savvy!

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLover View Post
    Thanks again!

My plan was to release it sooner, but thanks to Elmeaux and Frank W. Kooistra (from the Harrison Mixbus Forums) the quality and my bad spelling ;-) should be a lot better compared to my initial version.

The thread to the updated version (now called "Linux Studio Project") can be found here.
    I hope it's usefull.
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.