+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furious & Need to Vent!

Default Furious & Need to Vent!

So I live in northeast FL and music store pickings are quite slim. On Tuesday, I took my bass to a mom & pop music store a good 45 minutes away for a string change and set up. I've dealt with this store before; they're well established, & I'm usually happy with their work. I don't do my own maintenance on my bass in fear I'll mess it up. They told me it'd be ready the next day. I waited most of the next day, and figuring maybe they simply forgot to call, I called them and politely asked if my bass was ready. I was asked: "well, did he call you?" I responded no. He said "then I guess it's not ready." I hung up annoyed at his attitude, particularly after he himself had told me it'd be ready tomorrow.

Now it is Friday & I still have not heard a thing from them! I want my favorite bass back!!! You may think an easy solution would be to go somewhere else next time but there are 3 stores to choose from and here are my past experiences:

Dialogue with Store Z, my first bass purchase: "I'm interested in purchasing a bass." The guy asks: "for your husband or son?" I respond "no, for me." Guy snickers & scoffs. "basses are over there on the wall." Guy stays behind counter.

Dialogue with Store X: "I'm interested in buying a bass today." Again I hear for your son or husband? I'm almost ashamed to say its for me at this point, but I do. The guy then hands me a pink kiddie bass.

I was born & raised in N.Y. and in no way am I over sensitive, but really. I've been to a Guitar Center over a 100 miles away & was treated very fairly. But the trek is a bit much. Is this the norm from mom & pop music stores all over or is it just my area doesn't like female musicians?

Thanks for allowing me to vent on here. I am going to that store today & will sit in there until I have my bass back.

Wow. I've never had this kind of thing happen to me. We don't really have any small-business music stores here. Everybody I've dealt with has been very nice.

You have my deepest sympathies. I hope you get your baby back safely.

Anybody else have this kind of bad experience?

- low life -

Thanks, Elmeaux. I've decided to go down there. If its not been touched at all I'm demanding a full refund. No way to do business at all. I'm pretty sure that once my teaching years are done I will not retire in Florida.

Sorry to hear about your problems with a music store. I have had very bad luck with music stores as well, including Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Your solution, as was mine, is to learn to restring and setup your bass yourself. It really isn't difficult and there are numerous sources of info and tips, both text and video, available on-line. I have had several basses restrung and setup by "professionals" and have NEVER been satisfied with the results. Setup is especially a very subjective thing, so it is best to learn to setup your bass the way YOU like it. The very first thing you need to do is find a string set you like, and then stick with it. Changing from one type, or brand even, of strings to another will likely change the "action" and require adjustments to get it back to your liking. The next step is getting the neck relief properly set. Again, this is a subjective thing, but what I have noticed is that most people seem to lack understanding in this area. Most people adjust the neck too flat. If you do a bit of research into wave theory it becomes apparent that for the string to vibrate without hitting the fret wires, there must be sufficient neck relief. How much neck relief you need depends on how aggressively you attack the strings and how high you prefer the string "action" (the distance between the strings, in proper tune and at rest, and the fret wires). From my experience, playing with a pick requires a higher action than finger plucking, so do your testing the same way you will be playing that bass. I have found that these two steps have the greatest effect on the bases "playability". There are other steps in a complete setup, but these two steps should be done first, because if you change to a different type/brand of strings or the neck relief, you will have to start the setup proceedure from the beginning. Don't be scared off by horror stories of broken truss rods, warped necks, etc. Just remember, it's not an industrial machine, so you should never need to apply much force to make any of the adjustments. If you get to a point where you think you are needing to use excessive force, stop and re-asses the situation and get some help/advice if you feel the need. With a little time, and patience, you will be able to make your guitar truly YOURS. Also, like everything in life, it gets easier with practice. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask for advice from your fellow TR members if you need it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Kimgee. I do appreciate it. I am seriously thinking of trying my hand at setups & string changes myself to save myself time, money, gas, and aggravation. Are there any YouTube instructionals on this that you've used or recommend? It would have to be for an absolute beginner. Thanks.

PS- my bass is home now, all set up, frets leveled, and no blood shed at the store!

It was my pleasure Trayster2. I recommend you do a search for - bass guitar setup - or something similar, mainly because everyone has their own tastes, even when it comes to learning styles. But, being an instructor, I guess you already know that. That said, here are a few links from a guy named Dave on youtube. He is kinda grouchy and opinionated, and that annoys some people. For example, he does not like Rickenbacker basses. However, he tells the viewer why (low frets, leading to sooner refret jobs, made more complicated by bound necks for one thing), and after hearing his reasoning......I concur. He claims that Leo Fender once said - "A quality instrument is easy to repair" or something to that effect, and it sounds like good logic to me. I like him because his style is very un-intimidating and casual, he uses simple tools - like coins for checking clearances rather than expensive tools, and he conveys the very true fact that it is not rocket science, that setup is truly subjective, and ANYONE can do it. He has a ton of videos on his channel, and here are a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yV7wY2HQkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdhCeD9R5qM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IToNmYLl-co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAhFjOMaOvo

Good luck, and above all...........have fun!!!!

Thanks SO much!

That's craziness, never really had that kind of stuff happened to me ever???? Not that I remember.. Get your bass back for SURE.
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trayster2 View Post
    PS- my bass is home now, all set up, frets leveled, and no blood shed at the store!
    Hi Traysster2
    re the fret leveling Were you having a problem with individual frets buzzing? I just ask because I have never needed to have a fret leveling done.

Apart from that +1 to what Kimgee has said in his replys. You probably already have most of what you need around the house to set up your basses. If not, should you choose, Cruz tools will sell to you, for not very much money, a set up kit with just about everything you need in a confenient pouch that will slip in your gig bag. The one addition I made was a long true bar from Lee Valley tools. Most folke use the E string and a capo to check the relief, but I like using a ruler to measure the height, and lack the coordination to adjust the magnifier, align the tri-focals hold the light, ruler and .....You get the picture.

Have fun working on the instruments. One caveat, adjust the truss rod in small incruments 1/4 to 1/2 turn then wait a day or so. It takes time for the neck to react.

Brian

Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

+ Reply to Thread