Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubes?

Lane on Bass Guest

Default Tubes?

Before I even write what I want to say, let me point out that in addition to working with TMBG and Thunder Row, I am VP, Sales & Relationships for DNA. Roy is also one of our first endorsers.

David Nordschow - AKA David Eden - is the founder of Eden Electronics. About 6 years or so ago, David had to sell Eden to US Music. After having endorsed his products for more than a decade, I came to work with him there. David left USM/Eden in the summer of 2008.

Now he's BACK! And we're very close to releasing our first line of speaker cabinets.

If you're into really great bass gear, I invite you to check DNA out.

David Nordschow Amplification -- dnaamps.com

Default about amps?

Quote Originally Posted by Lane on Bass View Post
    Before I even write what I want to say, let me point out that in addition to working with TMBG and Thunder Row, I am VP, Sales & Relationships for DNA. Roy is also one of our first endorsers.

David Nordschow - AKA David Eden - is the founder of Eden Electronics. About 6 years or so ago, David had to sell Eden to US Music. After having endorsed his products for more than a decade, I came to work with him there. David left USM/Eden in the summer of 2008.

Now he's BACK! And we're very close to releasing our first line of speaker cabinets.

If you're into really great bass gear, I invite you to check DNA out.

David Nordschow Amplification -- dnaamps.com
    Hello, do you think that DNA will have amps in the near future?

Lane on Bass Guest

Hi, Bob. Yes, we expect to have amps by the beginning of next year. Cabs should release within 90 days or less.

We're talking a lot about all of that over at the DNA forum.

OK great!
    I saw the videos on de DNA web, sound really good...I'm guessing there will be no mexican dealer for this time, but I see that BassCentral will have DNA cabs (amps later) so that is great too (I bought my latest two music man basses with Beaver)...I'm planning to buy a new rig (Hartke) so I will wait for now for the DNA cabs...

Default Amps/Cabs

Hello all. I am thinking of taking the plunge into the world of tubular power. I have read many articles and opinions on the pros, cons, and everything in-between regarding this hotly debated topic. I am hoping that someone here has trod this path already and can give their real world experiences and opinions on this very important area of gear selection. I have never had the opportunity, and probably never will without spending lots of moola, to try the various designs out side-by-side. In fact, the only tube amp I have ever heard in person was a Fender Blues Junior treble guitar amp.......and it did sound very sweet indeed. So, when balancing cost, heat generation, power consumption, weight, maintenance, and, of course, tone........what are you guys thoughts?

I have never owned a tube amp, and I probably never will. My current primary amp is a GK MB800. This amp is capable of outputting 800 watts into 4 ohms, and it only weighs 5 pounds. That's right, I said 5 pounds. And, it's small enough to fit into a laptop (PC) carrying case. Tube amps, on the other hand, are HEAVY due to the weight of the transformers on the power supply and the output and associated heavy duty chassis. This is especially true of the ones that have enough power to keep up with a drum set and a couple of guitars. I'm 63 years old and I'm not going to be lugging around some 60 to 80 pound amp. Remember, if you take it to a gig you have to lift/carry it at least four times (house to car, car to stage, stage to car, car to house). That's four opportunities for a hernia, heart attack, wrenched back, etc. So, unless the amp comes with a roadie to schlep it around, the weight is a deal-breaker for me.

Then, there is the maintenance issue. The tubes will, at some point, fail or weaken and need to be replaced. This usually means a trip to a qualified service technician. That can mean that the amp is unavailable for a significant amount of time (days or weeks) and come with a significant cost.

On the other hand, some people absolutely swear by the tone they get from an all tube amp and wouldn't be caught dead playing through a tiny Class D solid state amp like mine. To each, their own.
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Then, there is the maintenance issue. The tubes will, at some point, fail or weaken and need to be replaced. This usually means a trip to a qualified service technician. That can mean that the amp is unavailable for a significant amount of time (days or weeks) and come with a significant cost.
    The guy at the store told me that with tubes it better to use them frequently (daily) since that would (how strange it all sounds) make them last longer. Not using tubes for a longer time would have a negative effect on them.

Also notice that with tubes you'll need to "pre-heat" them before fully powering your amp. So most tube-amp have a power and stand-by switch. I don't know if there is an exact time to wait before fully powering the amp or is it depends on the tubes/amp.

What I mostly do is put my amp on stand-by first and then turn on my TV and Media-Player (and PC if I want to record) and once everything is ready to practice/record I fully power the amp.

When I compare the sound of my Fender Bassman with that of my Ampeg Micro-CL stack, I must say that I prefer the sound of the fender above the Ampeg, but there is a huge price difference between the two so the "better sound quality" might be too low to justify the higher cost.

Also note that the Fender Bassman (I've got the '59 re-issue one) is actually Guitar amp and not a Bass-Guitar amp where the Ampeg is a Bass-Guitar Amp so that can also explain the sound difference.

What else I've heard is that with the Bassman you'll get a specific distortion that some people like when you turn to volume up high enough, but I never crank it up that far.

Oh, and the weight issue mentioned by DaveB is true, the Bassman is a heavy amp to carry (so I don't move it that much :-D) and there are no protection caps (or whatever they are called) so it's easy do damage the case while transporting).

As for the replacement of the tubes, I was told the tubes would have to be replaced every 7 years. I've found a website in the US that is selling tubes and replacing them looks easy enough, But I have no experience so don't pin me down on it, and for the price of the amp it might be better not to take the risk of damaging it when trying to save a few $$).

So, Bottom line:
    If possible try to compare various amps and select the one that sounds right for you (and don't let someone push a specific type or brand on you).

Hope this was somewhat usefull ;-)
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am still researching the topic and haven't made a decision yet, but I would like to have a tube amp, for the experience of having a tube amp. There are many used ones available at reasonable prices, and at unreasonable prices as well. From my research the Aguilar Tonehammer class D amps appear to produce a very "tube like" sound, but I have also heard a lot of good things about the Mesa Boogie Walkabout, and the GK MB800 that Dave mentioned. Both are small and light and easily transportable. If I end up with a tube amp, it will definitely not be leaving the house.

Passions run high on this subject - like they do on most topics in which people hold passionate, if opposing views. All I have to add to the discussion is that the best amp I ever had was a classic Ampeg flip-top tube amp with a single 15" speaker. The sound quality was alarming, breath-taking and flawless (unlike my playing). That amp now lies in 20 fathoms of water off the New Jersey coast, but that's another story.

"That amp now lies in 20 fathoms of water off the New Jersey coast, but that's another story."

Yikes!!!! I don't know about the other members, but I really want to hear that story!
    I am pleased that you gave your opinion on the Ampeg flip-top. I have been considering the Ampeg HB-15N. It is the ***iest looking amp setup I have ever laid eyes on. I think it would make a nice addition to my living room. Unfortunately, it is hard for me to justify spending $3000 on a 30 watt amp. Actually, I was just admiring a photo of it a few minutes ago. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Edit: Is s e x a dirty word nowadays?
    Last edited by kimgee; 07-16-2015 at 03:23 PM.