Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tubes?

Our forun has an automatic censor that won't allow certain words in posts. It was VERY necessary when we had a serious spammer problem. We were deluged daily with people posting Russian **** videos. Since we've gotten the spam problem under control, most of the filters are not necessary. Lol. We couldn't type the name Joe Cocker, nor post links to Adam Nitti's website adamnitti.com because it had the word damn in the middle. These words have be removed from the list. S E X is obviously still on the list. Should we remove it? Opinions?
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 07-16-2015 at 06:05 PM.

- low life -

Lol. Apparently the word p o r n is still on the list, too. Lol.

- low life -

I don't think it really matters. I found it rather amusing personally. If a poster is determined to be offensive, it is actually quite difficult to effectively stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by kimgee View Post
    I don't think it really matters. I found it rather amusing personally. If a poster is determined to be offensive, it is actually quite difficult to effectively stop them.
    If someone is clearly a Troll (Don't feed them) The moderators have some tools to respond to it.
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Thanks for the tip TobiasMan. Hopefully, with my electronics experience, I can do most maintenance and repairs myself......eventually. Lots to read and learn to get to that point.

Here is a discussion on the replacement of the tubes and the re-biasing, people seem to have different opinions on the subject of needing to re-bias (as usuall).
    Guess it also depends on the Amp you have.

As I understand my amp uses "Groove Tubes" and the have a video on replacing the tubes on their site.

I also know a US webstore that sells the Tubes in "Amplifier Sets" so you search on your Amp and you'll have a set with all the tubes that it needs (I don't know about biasing).
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Default Tube stuff

Thanks for the info Patrick. From the research I have been doing, the need for adjusting the bias, and the ease with which it can be done, depends on the design employed by the builder. But, in any case, to adjust the bias on a typical tube amp you just need a special probe that plugs into the tube's socket and a voltmeter. The probe can be bought as a kit for as little as $20 or as a ready to use tool for under $100. Since I work on electronics I have multi-meters and even an oscilloscope at my disposal. There are numerous relatively low priced DIY tube amplifier kits available for both guitars and general audio use. I have now taken the plunge and due to coincidental timing, I have two tube amps coming my way. I figured I would just dip my toe in to test the waters and ordered a used Ashdown Engineering Little Bastard from a Sam Ash in California for $395. Well, the very next day I ran across my dream setup at an irresistible price on Reverb. So now I also have a 65 Amps Apollo rig also coming from California. Totally tubular man!! This should be a good test of tube amps ability to be shipped if nothing else. UPS is handling the Apollo, and if they can't destroy it..........nobody can. They already have notified me of an issue with the 1X15 speaker cabinet, so we shall see. Here are some photos of the Apollo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	4421 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57b.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	4422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57e.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	4423

The Apollo is all hand wired, so it is totally repairable......by me!! It should be the last amp I ever need to buy. Well, at least that was the justification I used for dropping the $1400 on it. If they still made them they would go for over $3000. The pictures above are from an identical unit that was for sale on ebay for $2200. I think I got a great deal, as long as it still works when I get it that is. And heck, if nothing else, it will look great in my living room.

Default 65 Amps Apollo

I have now received and tested the 65 Amps Apollo and it is absolutely amazing. Before I fired it up, due to my extreme paranoia and lack of tube amp knowledge, I called 65 Amps and spoke to Dan Boul. He was super friendly and helpful and even gave me some great tips on using an oscilloscope to adjust the bias when needed. The conversation left me with a very good impression of him and his company. The tone this amp produces can be adjusted a surprising amount, considering the simplicity of the controls. The tone is hard to describe. I want to say clear and "bell" like, but that is a pretty tired cliche. To me, it sounds Hi-Fi stero like, even though it is mono. I have never heard another high end tube amp in the flesh, so I can't compare it to anything, but it definitely sounds better than anything I have heard before. There are a few things that surprised me. First, the head is pretty light at 29 lbs. The speaker is a lot heavier at 50 lbs. Second, it is amazingly loud for 50 watts. It seems louder at half volume, with the tone controls at half as well, then my 200 watt Ampeg at the same settings. But the most delightfully surprising thing is that it does not make my house vibrate nearly as much as the Ampeg did at the same volume level. I have two Auralex Grammas under the Apollo, due to it's size, and only one under the Ampeg, so maybe that dampens better. However, the Apollo is much more massive, which I would think negates the extra pad. But maybe the larger surface area of the base comes into play. I am not well informed on acoustics, so I just don't know, but I am very pleased with the greatly reduced vibrations. Anyway, I highly recommend 65 Amps in general, and the Apollo in particular. Here it is in all it's glory:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150729_222206.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	4429

Edit: Not sure why there is the attachment at the bottom. I put in the photo, realized it was sideways, re-oriented the original, loaded in the modified image, and then deleted the first image, but it stayed as an attachment. Maybe you can't delete a photo once it is inserted?
    Last edited by Patrick; 08-06-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: photo confusion

Default message received

Yeah...........OK. That's fine.

I fixed it for you.
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.