+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ernie Ball cobalt strings

Default Ernie Ball cobalt strings

I have been trying out the Ernie Ball cobalts lately. I have concluded that certain basses sound better with certain types of strings. While I like the reduced fretting noise of flats, they simply do not produce good tones on certain basses. So, I started putting rounds on those basses. I really dislike fretting noises, and as a result playing with the rounds has cleaned up my fretting action a good bit. However, I still like the feel and quietness of flats. Here is where Ernie Ball Cobalts come in. While they make both rounds and flats in cobalt, they claim the flats sound like rounds. I now have a set of the cobalt flats on one of my 4 strings, and I must say, they do indeed sound a lot like rounds. They do not seem to have as much of a "ring" to them as normal rounds, especially stainless, but they sound quite good. I have purchased a set of the roundwound cobalts to try as a comparison to roundwound stainless. EB claims cobalts produce the highest output available. I intend to test that claim. Anyone else tried the cobalts?

Edit: I just got an email from bassstringsonline.com, and they have the Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Flatwound strings on sale! Just in time for the holidays. ; )

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Fla...s-_c_1558.html
    Last edited by kimgee; 11-25-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: sale on cobalts

I have never tried cobalt strings, from any manufacturer. Mostly, I use D'Addario strings, because that is what the local Mom and Pop carry. I have found the same thing, Kimgee regarding the Bass/string combo. I had a short scale semi hollow that sounded terrible with flats but pretty darn good with tape wounds. I developed a preference for the tape wound sound oon the Ibanez 5 and Jazz- think bright flats, but had to take them off because m fretting hand technique, which was never any good anyway went completely in to the dumpster as I discovered when I put a set of rounds back on when I was trying to learn a rock song.

Brian

I've never used the Cobalts either. I used to be more experimental with strings. Over time, I have settled in to the DRs.

- low life -

I haven't tried cobalts, but I've really disliked every other EB string I've tried. I don't like how flexible they are. My favorite strings are Rotos, both flats and rounds. They're bright and very stiff, which I like.

I'm looking for some very stiff strings for my 5-string. All I have are the very flabby, jangling rattlers it came with. Don't know the brand or anything.

- low life -

I'd recommend Rotos or if you're looking for flats, D'addario Chromes. Both are nice and stiff. I use 45-65-80-105-130 gauge on both of my 5-strings.

The only Rotos I have tried were a set of flats on a short scale semi hollow. They seemed to be hard to intonate, at least when new. Have you run in to this??
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    I'd recommend Rotos or if you're looking for flats, D'addario Chromes. Both are nice and stiff. I use 45-65-80-105-130 gauge on both of my 5-strings.
    I've used Chromes before, but only on my 4-stringers. Maybe it's time to try them for the fiver.

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by brian_primrose View Post
    The only Rotos I have tried were a set of flats on a short scale semi hollow. They seemed to be hard to intonate, at least when new. Have you run in to this??
    Brian
    I haven't ever run into that, actually. I will say that, for the most part, the basses I have Rotos on have dual truss rods, so I wonder if that makes a difference.

+ Reply to Thread