+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many?

Default How Many?

I have a five-string bass. Took me a bit of time to adapt, but I'm good now!

- low life -

I have a 4, two 5s and a 6.

The added strings give me more range (love a low B) and more options for fingering and arpeggios. There are times, however, when I just like thumping on my old Fender P.

I've also moved to 5-ers as my main basses. My two mains are a are US Spectors, an NS-5H2 fretted and an NS-5H2 fretless. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NS5 Body.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	4544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spector 2.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	4545

Hi Nicki
    Given the wide selection that is available in that market segment, what, in particular, drew you to the Spectors?
    I have never had the chance to try one.
    Brian

I was curious about that myself, Nicki.

- low life -

I think Lane plays custom Spectors exclusively. Never played one myself.

Interesting question. My gateway drug for Spectors was a Czech-made 4-string Spector Rebop. Spectors have their own sound that's different from anything else and quite bright and aggressive. They can do burpy and growly, too, but really sound nothing like a Fender. They have wide necks, which is my preference. The build quality is superb on the Czech-made and US instruments. The Legend series don't do anything for me. They don't really sound like the US or EU Spectors.

I am lucky enough to have a Spector dealer within 2 hours of where I live. I was able to go and try them out in person.

Lucky indeed.
    So far I have not found anyone who stocks them within 350 miles.
    Brian

hmmm, I have 4 five and 5 fours...I like them equally well, but I tend to be more nimble on the 4s.

I had a spector rebop (Czech) a while back. I loved the feel of the bass the passive pickups with the tonepump pre just were not cutting it for me. But if I could find something like that with an aguilar OBP, I might give them another look. They look great, and are the most ergonomic basses I have every played.

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

Mostly I prefer a 4 string, but today while practicing with my covers band I was thinking a 5 would work well for many of the songs we do. I'm thinking I just may have to take my 5er with me to our next rehearsal and see if my hunch is correct. I look at it as using the best tool for the job. Sure it may take some time to adjust to a 5 or 6 string, but if it is the right tool, go for it.
    Stantonl

www.bassramblings.com

Blogging about Bass!

+ Reply to Thread