Thread: Age before beauty

1. Default Age before beauty

Hello all,

Is it crazy to take up bass in your late 50s? Call me crazy...
    Picked up a Squire VM Precision PJ over the weekend and just starting to explore. I look forward to the journey and learning / sharing with you all. My interests are home hobbyist playing with eventually recording myself playing multiple instruments and creating my own sounds. Long term, finding some like minded friends and doing some friendly jamming.

The majority of us on the Row are over 40. We have members in their late 60s and into their 70s. If you love the bass, that's all that matters. Age ain't nothing but a number. Welcome aboard! Enjoy the lessons!

- low life -

Welcome to the Thunder Row (geriatrics can apply ). Lots of experience here and all levels of skill, from rank beginners to folks with records out!

Pull up a stool and start practicing. Let us know how its going. We can provide advice, tips as well as a shoulder to cry on when things aren't going right.
    Last edited by TobiasMan; 12-01-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Welcome to TR Crazy. Music is a good thing for all ages, but especially for the elderly. Research indicates that playing an instrument gives your brain a full workout, and has been shown to be a great form of therapy for treating and preventing dementia. So, the more you play the less crazy you become. That means that pretty soon we will need to call you something else perhaps.

PS - I started learning the electric bass about a year and a half ago at the age of 57. I feel much less demented now.

5. Default

Encouragement much appreciated everyone. Just finished lesson 1 and in the process of learning the fretboard and practicing the exercises. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions

Good morning, JPizzi

Do not even think about the age thing. I was in m 60's when I started to get serious about learning how to play. IMO all those years of world experience help to clarify what is important, and this in turn informs the types of music we want to create/reproduce.

There is, unfortunately no question that there are some potential problems that come along with being experientially advantaged: joints can be stiffer, tendons,muscles and other soft tissues are less elastic, and if they are injured, heal more slowly and sometimes less completely. I suggest starting slowly. 15 min sessions to start, going to 45 min before taking a break. Pay attention to warm ups and stretch the tissues in your arms, wrists and hands daily. Do the stretches slowly, never go past the point of being comfortably uncomfortable, and hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Pay attention to your posture while playing, both seated and standing. If you start to get pain after you start playing, modify your position/technique and feel free to post a question regarding same here, perhaps with pictures or a short video.

Welcome and enjoy!

Brian

That's some good advice Brian.