+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking for that vintage sound

Default looking for that vintage sound

I recently picked up a Baldwin Vibraslim bass from the mid '60s as a collectible piece and have been so impressed with it's sound that I want to get a bass I can play daily and not have to worry about wear and tear, but has that cool vintage sound. Has anyone here ever played one of the semi-hollow thin bodied Guild basses? Like one of the Starfire series or the Chris Hillman signature bass? Does anyone know of a more recent thin bodied hollow or semi-hollow bass that has that '60s sound to it. My hollow bodied Gretch G5442BDC Electromatic doesn't even come close to the sound of the Baldwin. It sounds very "boomy" in comparison. I could buy a less pristine Baldwin Vibraslim to play, but with the very thin fret wire and bound neck, not to mention no replacement parts available, making repairs a real issue, I would prefer something newer and more easily repaired. Has anyone played an Epiphone 5120E? They are pretty common and cheap. I am open to any and all recommendations.

Here are pics of the Baldwin, in case you have never seen one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0008-001.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	4639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009-001.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	4640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0013-001.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	4641

Can't help you Kimgee.

The only hollow body electric I have ever played was a Hofner (Beatle style) bass in 1961. My room mate at college had one and while he was learning to play the trombone, I used his bass.

Light, serious neck dive and very boomy.

What a beauty! I'm going to drop a line to Roy and ask him if he has any advice. IIRC, he knows about Guild basses, so his input would be valuable.

- low life -

Thanks for your response anyway TMan. I have never tried one of the violin shaped basses out there, but they do look like neck dive would be a real issue.

Thanks Elmeaux! I really appreciate that. I located one of the Guild Chris Hillman signature basses.......at the local Sam Ash warehouse if you can believe it! It is the last one in their system and the only one I have found for sale. Apparently, they only made 70 of them. I am going to go check it out today. It sounds like what I am looking for in the video of Chris Hillman playing it on the Guild website. It seems the maple body sounds significantly different form the standard mahogany body. I will soon find out and let you guys know what my impression is.

+ Reply to Thread