View Poll Results: What is your (Primary) D.A.W.

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • ProTools (by AVID)

0 0%
  • Cubase/Nuendo (by Steinberg)

1 50.00%
  • Logic Pro X (by Apple)

0 0%
  • Studio One (by PreSonus)

0 0%
  • Reason (by Propellerheads)

0 0%
  • Harrison Mixbus (or the FOSS Ardour) (by Harrison Consoles)

1 50.00%
  • Sonar (by Cakewalk)

0 0%
  • Digital Performer (by MOTU)

0 0%
  • Reaper (by Cockos)

0 0%
  • Other (specify below)

0 0%

Thread: The big D.A.W. Poll

Post The big D.A.W. Poll

Let's have a Poll to see what D.A.W. (Digital Audio Workstation) our members are using.
    I'll try to put the majority of "Big Players" in the list, but if yours is not listed select Other and post a reply with the name if the D.A.W. that you are using.

You are also welcome to comment after voting, telling us why you are using that particular program.

This is not a popularity contest, just providing other members who are interested into setting up a home recording studio with some ideas and pointers into the direction of the D.A.W. that might fit their needs best.
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Here are a few reasons why I've chosen for Harrison Mixbus. (At the moment I'm using their brand-new Mixbus 32C version, this is an "enhanced" version of Mixbus 3 which is modelled after their 32C consoles. As a Member I was able to purchase at a discount. For new users the price is $299 which is not too bad for a good D.A.W. but it's a lot more compared to $79 for the "normal" version of Mixbus.)

1. Cross Platform : Mixbus run on Windows, Mac AND Linux so it can be used on a dedicated studio system (my "dedicated" studio runs Debian GNU/Linux) and on a laptop that runs Windows or even a MacBook.
    If you are using multiple operating systems having a D.A.W. that supports ALL of them is great (you can record on 1 system and mix/edit on another system for example)

2. Friendly License : Unlike most D.A.W.'s that use a Dongle or Online Activation Mixbus just needs a license file to be located on your system (there are a few folders on your computer scanned to see if these license files are present) and you're good to go.
    A dongle takes away 1 USB port and Activation in most cases also requires "de-activation" before moving to another computer, but if you have a serious hardware or software failure where you'll need to re-install the O/S or purchase an entirely new computer you're likely needing to contact the developer of the D.A.W. to ask them to please allow you a new activation (some are quick other might take some time).

3. Build-in plugins : Mixbus comes with a bunch of pre-installed plugins which saves time and energy installing (and downloading) them. There are also 3rd party-plugins like OvertoneDSP that support all O/S's

The plugins are not "licensed" when you purchase Mixbus so if you want to use some of them you'll need to purchase them, and buying them all will cost you a lot (but so do other commercial plugins). Harrison does offer a "Plugged-in Membership" (around $9/month) and this gives you a monthly discount code (as long as you stay a member) that you can use to purchase the plugins at a 50% discount. Last month they even had a special "buy all" plugins offer at a very low price. The plugged-in membership also gives a discount on future versions of Mixbus (even cheaper than purchasing an "Upgrade" from one version to another) AND if that's not enough members also get the new stuff 1 day before the rest of the world.

On a down-side most 3rd party plugins do not work on Linux since they are mostly VST plugins and Mixbus supports VST for Linux plugins but not VST plugins for Windows (or VST3 at the moment). (VST is propriatary technology from Steinberg)

But, Many people claim that Mixbus sounds great even without Plugins and some expert mixers even advise not to use plugins (or only a limited number of plugins) so the lack of Plugins for Linux might not be a real problem.

The people at MixCoach also have their Top 10 list here.
    (ten reasons You should be considering Mixbus over ProTools)
    These people are a lot more knowledgeable than me
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Cubase is the only one on the list that I've ever used.

- low life -

Cubase is a nice DAW and considered the most popular here in Europe (while ProTools is the one in the US).

What was your impression of it ?
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Nice. Easy to use. In the end, I had to give it up because I didn't have enough computer to handle it. Never got another program to replace it. As with all these names listed, you need a lot of power to handle them.

- low life -

That's one of the downsides of Music Recording.
    There are some tweaks you can make to Windows to make more resources available for the D.A.W. (start less services, don't have stuff running in the tray, set performance over looks and stuff like that).

But I think Cubase is one of the heavier D.A.W. out there.

For less powerful systems you might want to have a look at Reaper. It's fairly cheap and start very fast. It's the fasted starting D.A.W. I've ever tried (not counting mixbus on Linux since Reaper is not available for Linux).

Others could be Mixcraft, energyXT, n-Track Studio.
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Previously to Cubase, I used a very easy-on-the-ram program called (iirc) Cool EDIT Pro. Now we're going back many years. I used it in conjunction with a free little midi mapper where you could add your own live, actual music samples instead of using your computer's pre-loaded sound card samples.

Man, this was all so many years ago! Things have really changed since then!

- low life -

CoolEdit Pro, Yeah that's ages ago (I've also owned a copy of that one).
    It's purchased by Adobe in 2003 and was rebranded to Audition. Adobe at one point also had a program called Soundbooth but they canceled that one after 1 or 2 versions. I think they entirely rebuild Audition and added some features from Soundbooth in it (and even that is several years ago).
    I don't think it's considered a D.A.W. in the sense of a (Home) Studio Recoring program, but it's considered a "host" for many Plugins (VST). I think it compares more to Steinbergs WaveLab than to Cubase (but it was a long time ago since I've last used it).

Talking about this kind of programs, there is a little program called GoldWave (Windows Only) It's a very popular tools and pretty cheap. $45 for a lifetime license.
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

LOL, I've used GoldWave too! Ha!

- low life -

Unfortunately GoldWave is not available for Linux.

Just recently I've found a site called "MixCoach" where you can get various courses, but for a fee.
    They do however have 2 video's on Mixbus 2 (so they are a bit outdated, since we're now at Mixbus 3 and 32C-3 and since Mixbus 2 they also released a 2.5 version).

So, if anyone is interested in Mixbus they can go here : https://mixcoach.com/mixcoach-on-mixbus-2-new-features/ and download these 2 videos for free.

They also have a 5 lesson "What every great mixer knows" (or something like that) Free course where they send you 1 video (a link) each day, but you'll need to get a free subscription.
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.