Thread: Article: Know Your Music - Wolf Tones

Default Article: Know Your Music - Wolf Tones

- low life -

I have a resonance on the open E string on my EUB. If I leave it sit with the volume on, it will often start a feedback loop on that string, so I make sure that I turn the volume off when I'm not playing it. If I just play an open E and let it ring, it will continue for a very long time. It never sounds nasty, like the examples in those videos, just very resonant. Since it isn't hollow, the magnetic Wolf Eliminator wouldn't work, but the one that goes onto the string below the bridge might.

It's not a major issue, but an interesting option to look into.

I find it interesting that you can also use them to change other tonal qualities in your playing.

Yep. Clearly acoustic instruments, and to a lesser extent solid body instruments, create their sound/tones from vibrations in the wood/body. Things that can reinforce those vibrations can make the sound stronger/louder, so to the extent that these tools (more specifically the magnetic one) can tame hot spots or reinforce tones in some areas, they can clearly impact the tone of the instrument.