Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Three Bassists, One Question - Part Three

Default Article: Three Bassists, One Question - Part Three

- low life -

Thanks for digging up those answers, Elmeaux!

My pleasure. Inquiring Bassists want to know.

Thanks for the great info Elmeaux. In my opinion, most of the hollow body and semi-hollow body basses that I have played sound best when played using a pick. Also, there can be a significant tonal difference based on the pick used. So if you don't like the sound your pick makes, try a different pick. My favorite is ebony picks I bought at Guitar Center. They were in a plastic bag with no brand name on them as I recall, but are pretty thick with a indentations for you thumb and fingers. They tend to make less of a "clack" type noise when contacting the strings and produce a very nice tone. I tried felt picks, but did not like the sound, or the mess they made all over my bass as the felt came apart when used. Plastic picks are ok, but not the best choice in my opinion.

I use the rubber picks. Wedgies! Various sizes and thicknesses.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Wed...ck_p_1498.html

- low life -

At Elmeaux's suggestion I tried the Wedgies and they work for me. Hate plastic picks and hate clacking sounds!

These give more bite without either of those evils.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    I use the rubber picks. Wedgies! Various sizes and thicknesses.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Wed...ck_p_1498.html
    I have not tried those......but I will now. I also discovered a site that sells some interesting, but pricey picks made of a wood called lignum vitae. I have seen claims that this unique and very high oil content wood makes the best picks. I may try them as well.

http://surfpick.com/index105.htm

Https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...?k=wedgie+pick Amazon has rubber Wedgies in all sizes, as well as the little holder thing that goes under the strings at the headstock. If you buy, make sure you're choosing the RUBBER ones. I don't have any experience with the nylon ones.
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 08-17-2016 at 02:45 PM.

I think the one I have is a 3.1 Wedgie. Easy on the fingers (no death grip to avoid losing it) and a bit more punch than fingers.