+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warwick Basses

Default Warwick Basses

Until about 8 months ago, I never considered buying a Warwick bass. Then I came across the first Warwick bass that stimulated my "must have" gene. It was a discontinued, and pretty rare, Fortress Flashback, which is a nice retro looking version of the Fortress made in limited numbers around 1996. I was genuinely surprised by it's tone and playability. So, I started doing some research. As it turns out, there was a period, roughly from about 1992 to 1997, when Warwick turned out some very well made basses constructed from high quality tone woods that can now be had on the used market for a fraction of what a current similar version would cost. While various models from this period have various woods used in the bodies, the necks, including fretboards, are mostly made from wenge. These units came with a brass nut that allows individual height adjustment for each string and brass frets, so fretted and open notes sound nearly the same. Warwick used mostly wenge for it's necks up until around 1998 (when it began using ovangkol due to a scarcity of wenge - wenge necks are available again from the custom shop, but are very pricey) and I believe it is the source of the famed "Warwick growl". Basses from this era can be had on the used market usually for under $1,000.00USD and I have seen them as low as $600.00USD. To obtain a similarly made model today would be at least $3,000.00USD, and likely closer to twice that. I personally think Warwicks from this period are some of the most underpriced basses on the used market. So, if you haven't tried a Warwick because of the high price, keep an eye out for one of these gems. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I should point out that I am speaking only of German made Warwicks here, as I have zero experience with the Rock Bass line of Warwicks, which are made in China.

Also, an interesting and informative history of Warwick can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-f...w3enNaMzQ/view

An example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160620_213333.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	4730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160620_213535.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	4731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160620_213700.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	4732

I love that dark neck.

Are you planning on searching one out for yourself?

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    I love that dark neck.

Are you planning on searching one out for yourself?
    Actually, I was speaking from the perspective of personal experience.

My Warwicks:

Name:	20160620_213308.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	4733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2408.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	4735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umgbqkindgbhqhpsxvid.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	4736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160708_202246.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	4738

Note: I should point out that the Dolphin and Streamer Stage I are not from the era I was speaking of. The Dolphin is from 1988 and the Stage I is from 2014.
    Last edited by kimgee; 09-29-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: note

And here is the beauty that started it all.........my Fortress Flashback:

Name:	s-l1603.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	4739

Ahhh. I see. Sorry. People have such a variety of beautiful basses, I sometimes forget who has what!

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Ahhh. I see. Sorry. People have such a variety of beautiful basses, I sometimes forget who has what!
    There is no need for an apology. I had not discussed Warwick basses on this forum before this. I was just sharing my delightful experience with Warwick. I would like to add, that Warwick has the very best customer support, of any company in any industry, that I have ever experienced. The guys at the Warwick Showroom in Nashville are amazingly friendly and helpful. Their prices are usually lower than if you ordered direct from the German factory. It is the place to go for Warwick parts and info in the US. The people at the German factory are awesome as well. I sent an email to the German site trying to get the build info on my 1988 Dolphin on a Sunday afternoon and received a personal response from the founder, Hans Wilfer, that same day. I was amazed. After the abysmal support I have received from the likes of Fender and Gibson, it was a very refreshing experience.

Default Speaking of Warwicks..........

I was fortunate enough to snag this beauty yesterday. It's a Warwick Open Day 2012 Corvette $$ LTD. So much delightful wenge!

Name:	Untitled-7_0000__DSC9254.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	4740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-7_0001__DSC9264.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	4741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-7_0006__DSC9262.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	4742

Amazing!!

- low life -

Nice, Wenge on an ash body?

10. Default

I couldn't agree with you more. The older models are really good. I own 10 Warwicks, of which only 2 were bought new. I love the sound of them all but the older models are excellent. I don't play the Rock basses. I only prefer the Germans.

+ Reply to Thread