Thread: Article: Do You Know Jaco?

Default Article: Do You Know Jaco?

- low life -

Tres cool, Elmeaux.

Thanks for posting that!

By the Way? Has anyone seen the new Documentary Jaco? Great bass player but I wouldn't trade my life for his for any amount of money and fame knowing the outcome
    of such a tragic life.... I will take mine any day minute or lest than a second before his....that's the way you think when you get older and wiser....

Line6bassman
    Last edited by line6bassman; 10-24-2016 at 01:47 PM.

I haven't seen it, nor even heard too much about it, save for the publicity surrounding its release. Anybody else see it?

- low life -

I have seen it and it is definitely worth watching. It's not on the BBC documentary level, but it's still well done, informative, and entertaining. And that's coming from someone who is not really a Jaco fan. GASP!!! Yes it's true. I do have great respect for his abilities, his impact on the music industry in general, and bass playing and it's role specifically. I own all of his albums that I have been able to find. Including his big band efforts that I had to get imported from Japan. However, I am not a fan of his playing style in many instances. Take Donna Lee for example. If you have ever attempted to play it, you know how difficult it is. It was originally written for a b flat instrument I believe and, in my opinion, sounds much better played on a saxophone. Played on the bass, it does not sound very "musical" at all, but certainly demonstrates the artist's abilities when performed well......like Jaco did. It seems to me that he spent too much effort on pure speed and technical prowess and not enough on creating pleasing sounding music. I think his early passing was especially tragic because, if he could have gotten some help with his condition, his best years were still ahead of him. Truly a great loss. But hey, that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Anyway, there are lots of interviews with Jaco's friends, family, and fellow artists, and every fan of the bass should see it.

Also......the price has come down since I got my copy on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/JACO-Film-Bon...jaco+pastorius