Thread: Back from the Shadows (Used to be known Harley Jazz)

1. Cool Back from the Shadows (Used to be known Harley Jazz)

Not sure who is out there reading these posts, but I thought since I was absent from Thunder Row for a while, it would be a good idea to introduce myself again.

My real name is Richard and I was a pro musician in Southern California for 40 years. I had a stroke 5.5 years ago and lost my Chops as a trombonist. I knew what to do just lost all the muscle memory as well as had some significant tingles to deal with. I have been recovering my trombone and keyboard chops and have returned to performing with some community groups as well as performing bass on our worship team at church.

In the midst of all this they closed operations at my day job (Database Administrator) at the company I had been with for almost 20 years. Not much work for the software I am an expert with in so Cal, so accepted a perm gig in Holland Michigan, and Cheryl (wife) and I have been getting settled. still settling when they told me that USF Holland (The company I came here for) will be retiring the product suite I specialize in, and in about 2 years I will be let go. (an old tune eh? - LOL). This time I will be 65 and looking for employment, so we think we will return to the family in southern California (we still own the house) but it means moving again which was not very much fun when we came here, and I expect it to be as bad moving back)

Playing the bass has helped get finger dexterity and my playing is also improving as the tingles (numbness) gets less and less. I am very fortunate to have instruments that are far better than my ability deserves; Carvin 5 String Brian Bromberg as well as a four string fretless Jazz Style (Carvin), and a nice BX500 with a 15 and 2x10 cabs as well as my most recent amp is an Ampeg BA112 combo that I use for the Worship performance at Church.

Aside from practicing music for worship at church, I would play along with ZZ-Top recordings, but recently unpacked my TMBG discs and started the work the program again. My one admission of fault is that I can't get my head into playing with a pick. I was very fortunate to gig, as a trombone player, with some great bassists; Brian Bromberg, Carol Kaye, and I know that Carol plays with a pick, and is very good at it to boot. But every time I try to do the pick exercise, I go back to finger picking; I guess it is just a character flaw.

Well, it's good to be back at Thunder Row, and I hope to be more active in the forums.

Take care and hope to speak/write to you soon!

Rick "Holland Jazz" Bartkus

Welcome back - I remember the former handle.

Great story and success from "hanging in there" Rick, and glad to hear that your bass work has helped with your recovery. All the best

Welcome back! Nice to hear from you again! Good luck with the TMBG reboot. Keep at it with the pick. Becomes much more natural as you go along.

- low life -

Welcome back, Rick -

Thanks for sharing your story - and we're glad to hear your gettin' your chops back. As for picking, I wouldn't worry about it. You do whatever you feel most comfortable with. Ashley said to say "Hi!"

Good to have you back on the Row, Rick. I know a lot of people have found playing - and music in general - is great therapy after a stroke or any debilitating problem. We're glad you've dusted off your TMBG and are making good use of it. Who knows, maybe you and Carol Kaye can do a double bass session when you get back to So. Cal!

Wishing you all the best,
    God bless,
    David

6. Default

Thanks for all the encouragement!
    It is good to be back !