+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amps?

1. Default Amps?

New to bass playing, have gotten a couple of amps, and I guess I am wondering if the amps I have are any good. And maybe how reliable they are.

The 1st one is a Nemesis by Eden. 45 watt. Sounds great to me. Don't know if it has the volume for our church.

The other one is a 350 watt Behringer. Definitely loud enough. Don't know about the quality, or dependability of it. Have heard some bad about this brand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good morning, Rickit

I do not have a lot of experience with amps but can offer some thoughts. I have used an Eden once. It was about 100 wats and I do not remember the model. Liked the sound, and the price point was reasonable. It was, compared to others, not very loud. They seem to be a focused company and have a good reputation. In general, 45 is going to be underpowered for playing out, but that will depend upon the amps ability to deliver clean sound at higher volume, the efficiency of the speaker, the size of the room, and what other instruments make up the ensemble. I do not believe the smaller nemesis amps had a direct out to go to the board, but if yours does, then you can just plug in to the churches sound system and problem solved. You will have to try it to know.

For playing with a group the 300 watts should be fine power wise. I have used a Behringer once. I did not like the sound, but that is more a matter of taste. Their motto, I think is to double the features and half the price. If you got a good deal and like the sound you can get out of it, great. Modern amplification equipment tends to be pretty reliable, so I would not be too concerned. Where I have had issues in the past is in the durability of the speakers and their enclosures. In my experience I have gotten pretty much, what I have paid for.

I hope this helps.

Brian

I've never used any of your brands. I guess I'm a Roland or Fender person.

- low life -

I am quite familiar with Eden gear. I have/use a lot of Eden gear. Have found it outstanding over the 20 years I have used Eden gear.

Which model of the Nemesis are you using? There were about 8 or so different combo amp models manufactured. With only 40/45 watts, it sounds like you might have a Nemsis N10 or an N8. The N8/N10 series were primarily student/practice amps, and not really designed to play out. All of the other Nemesis combo amps that produced at least 200 watts and up and were easily able to deal with most church situations.

I don't believe that any of the smaller Nemesis combo amps had an XLR out jack, so patching directly into FOH would not be possible. You may be able to use a DI to convert the headphone out signal into a XLR signal to go to the FOH mixer.

If your Berhinger has an Effects In jack on the back, you should be able to use an instrument cable to connect the headphones out jack on your Nemesis to the Effects In jack on the Berhinger. That would use the front end of the Nemesis to feed a signal directly to the Berhinger amp, bypassing its front end and give you the tone and control of the Nemesis and the power of the Berhinger. You would simply use the Berhinger as a slave amp. The Nemesis series generally sounded great, you just need a bit more omph! Good luck!
    Last edited by TobiasMan; 04-26-2017 at 11:42 AM.

5. Default

Model N8

Kinda what I figured.

You can get the best of both worlds by driving the Berhinger with the headphone out from your Nemesis when you need more volume.

Or keep your eyes out for one of the larger Nemesis combos, all of which should work just fine in a church setting. Most of the larger Nemesis combos also have a Direct Out jack that will connect with your sound system if you need more reinforcement.

7. Default

Are you talking about the FX return jack?

May be named different things on different amps. On my Edens you could use the Stereo Effects Return or Post Tone Effects Return.

It will be an input that patches into the amp's circuits after the tone controls of the amp, and into the signal chain directly before the power amp portion. It could be called the FX Return, but it needs to be post tone controls on the power amp.

+ Reply to Thread