+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first bass

1. Default My first bass

Hey all. I'm a newbie to bass guitar, but have been interested for quite some time. And have been checking out this forum for a few weeks.

I am posting this because I am looking for opinions on the bass that I have. I have not seen any Ibanez basses yet on this forum. I have an Ibanez Gio Soundgear. I guess what I'm asking is this a good bass only fair or really good?
    Just looking for opinions. Does anyone have one and do you like it? How reliable is it? That kind of thing.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Good morning, Rick

I don't have a GSR 200 but I do play an Ibanez SR 5.

This large manufacturer makes several lines and there are multiple price points in each. A quick search suggested that this is a "starter bass". That said you are getting a bass that, if you like a narrower neck, has terrific playability. Where they seem to save money is on the body wood, neck construction, hardware and strings. In truth, if you like the tone you are getting, non of that matters. The only suggestion I would have is that once you have thought about the type of tone you like the most-around and warm or brighter, sharper, get a new set of strings from any of the well known manufacturers, be they round wounds, flats or tape wounds. They change, in comparison to the discount set on it from the factory, can be striking.

In summary, at the price point, the reviews tend to be very positive. It should be reliable, and if the playability and sound please you you may welll be playing it 20m years from now.

Assuming that you are like the rest of us, at some point you will think about getting another bass, or upgrading the one that your have.
    The that is a whole new topic.

Have fun.

Brian

What Brian said, but I'd add that for a starter bass, a good pro setup is often a good action as well. A poor setup, not that uncommon with lower cost basses, can really affect the playability negatively.

A good setup can make a world of difference.

I have two Ibanez basses. One is a black Soundgear; the other is an Ibanez Jet King.

The Jet King is my baby.

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread...ing-Pix-Part-1

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread...ing-Pix-Part-2

I also have an LTD five-string, and an old Crescent training bass.

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread